Shugendo: The History and Culture of a Japanese Religion

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2008
      I think the following might be of interest to folks, if they can get
      to NY April 25-27. I really wish I could make this one, which was
      posted to PMJS, earlier. Contact Columbia University for more
      information.

      -Ii

      The Columbia Center for Japanese Religions

      presents

      The Second Annual CCJR International Symposium on Japanese Religions

      Shugendō: the History and Culture of a Japanese Religion

      The symposium brings together scholars of Japanese religions from
      Japan, Europe, and the North America to critically examine Shugendô, a
      major Japanese tradition that has long been relegated to the margins
      of Japanese religious history and culture. Through the presentation
      and discussion of new scholarly work from diverse theoretical and
      methodological perspectives the symposium will explore the central
      role of Shugendô in the history of Japanese religious institutions,
      practices, literature, and visual culture.

      The symposium is free and open to the public

      April 25 – 27, 2008

      Held Auditorium

      Barnard Hall, Room 304

      Barnard College, Columbia University

      Broadway and 117th Street

      New York, NY

      Friday, April 25

      5:00pm-5:30pm
      Registration

      5:30pm-7:30pm
      Introduction to the Film by Gaynor SEKIMORI
      Film Screening "Shugen: Hagurosan Aki no Mine"
      (directed by KITAMURA Minao)
      Followed by Q&A with the director

      7:30pm-9:00pm
      Reception

      Saturday, April 26

      9:00am-9:30am
      Registration

      9:30am-10:30am
      Keynote Speech
      MIYAKE Hitoshi (Kokugakuin University)
      "Japanese Mountain Religion:
      Shrines, Temples and the Development of Shugendō"

      11:00am-12:00pm
      Gaynor SEKIMORI (SOAS)
      "Defining Shugendō Past and Present:
      The 'Restoration' of Shugendō at Nikko and Koshikidake"
      Discussant:
      Dominick SCARANGELO (University of Virginia)

      12:00pm-1:00pm
      SATŌ Hiroo (Tohoku University)
      "Changing Views Mountains in Japan"
      Discussant:
      Mark TEEUWEN (Oslo University)

      2:00pm-3:00pm
      SUZUKI Shōei
      "The Development of the Zaō Gongen Suijaku Setsuwa"
      Discussant:
      Heather BLAIR (Harvard University)

      3:00pm-4:00pm
      SUZUKI Masataka (Keio University)
      "Kumano Worship and Yudate Kagura"
      Discussant:
      Gaynor SEKIMORI (SOAS)

      4:00pm-5:00pm
      SEKIGUCHI Makiko (Nihon Joshi Daigaku)
      "Sanbōin Monzeki and the Formation of Tōzan-ha"
      Discussant:
      George CLONOS (Stanford University)

      Sunday, April 27

      9:30am-12:30pm
      Robert DUQUENNE (EFEO)
      "Enkū Beyond the Boom:
      Off or On the Tracks of Shugendō?"
      Discussant:
      Will HANSEN (San Diego State University)

      10:30am-11:30am
      ŌUCHI Fumi (Miyagigakuin Women's University)
      "Popularization through the Vocal Arts:
      The Lotus Repentance Liturgy of Haguro Shugen"
      Discussant:
      Lisa GRUMBACH (Institute of Buddhist Studies)

      11:30am-12:30pm

      Anne BOUCHY (EFEO)

      "Between Transformations, Ruptures, and Continuity:

      Issues and Options in Contemporary Shugendō"
      Discussant:
      SUZUKI Masataka (Keio University)

      1:30pm-3:30pm
      Fabio RAMBELLI (Sapporo University)
      "'Dog-men,' Craftspeople, or Living Buddhas?
      The Status of Yamabushi in Premodern Japanese Society"
      Discussant:
      Lucia DOLCE (SOAS)

      2:30pm-3:30pm
      Bernard FAURE (Columbia University)
      "Climbing Mount Analogue:
      The Embryological Discourse of Shugendō"
      Discussant:
      Marco GOTTARDO (Columbia University)

      4:00pm-5:00pm
      Reception