First attempt, opinions needed

  • Dawn Wilson
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 16, 2008
      I neglected to take or have taken any pictures of myself in my first
      attempt at Japanese garb (at Gulf Wars). Luckily, I have found a
      picture that someone else took of me. Not the best photo, but beggars
      can't be choosers! I would appreciate any suggestions offered. All
      layers are linen or silk. Oh, and the black dye did not take in my
      hair, please pardon it's colour. Here's the link:

      http://casadiabla.smugmug.com/gallery/4540199_dFSAU#P-10-15

      Sugihara no Naome
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 16, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Wilson" <morningstar.dawn@...>
        wrote:

        > I neglected to take or have taken any pictures of myself in my first
        > attempt at Japanese garb (at Gulf Wars).

        Looks good! (Go beat whoever wrote "Geisha" in the album with your
        fan, though.)

        Saionji no Hanae
        West
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 16, 2008
          However, I don't think I'd really worry all that much about hair
          color...to be honest, I think that how you feel about yourself in your
          mind carries the impact of the persona far more than things like black
          hair, etc. It's like wearing eyeglasses....if I'm to see where I'm
          going, I have to wear them. So having red/brown hair can't distract
          from the image that much more, you know...nor do I use rice powder on my
          skin (allergies) or blacken my teeth. I try to make sure the garb I
          wear is as accurate as possible, as well as my hair style and
          accessories, and let it go at that. It seems to work fairly well. I
          think you look just fine!

          Kiri
          Atlantia

          wodeford wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Dawn Wilson" <morningstar.dawn@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I neglected to take or have taken any pictures of myself in my first
          > > attempt at Japanese garb (at Gulf Wars).
          >
          > Looks good! (Go beat whoever wrote "Geisha" in the album with your
          > fan, though.)
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West

        • seven_add1
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 16, 2008
            wrote:

            > I neglected to take or have taken any pictures of myself in my first
            > attempt at Japanese garb (at Gulf Wars). Luckily, I have found a
            > picture that someone else took of me. Not the best photo, but beggars
            > can't be choosers! I would appreciate any suggestions offered. All
            > layers are linen or silk. Oh, and the black dye did not take in my
            > hair, please pardon it's colour. Here's the link:
            >
            > http://casadiabla.smugmug.com/gallery/4540199_dFSAU#P-10-15
            >
            > Sugihara no Naome

            You look marvelous and don't worry about the hair. To be completely
            accurate we'll have to have the small noses, slanted eyes and so forth.

            Kanamori no Tatsume
          • sekinakagawa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 16, 2008
              Naome-hime,
              It is a very nice piece of work. I have seen the world famous karate-gi worn
              by people attempting Japanese, so this is by far a greater work. Best wishes
              to you on your new life, welcome to the Class.

              Humbly,
              Nakagawa Sukeie

              To ask a question may be a moments shame,
              But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

              listings at AOL Autos.

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008
                On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Dawn Wilson <morningstar.dawn@...> wrote:

                > I neglected to take or have taken any pictures of myself in my first
                > attempt at Japanese garb (at Gulf Wars). Luckily, I have found a
                > picture that someone else took of me. Not the best photo, but beggars
                > can't be choosers! I would appreciate any suggestions offered. All
                > layers are linen or silk. Oh, and the black dye did not take in my
                > hair, please pardon it's colour. Here's the link:
                >
                > http://casadiabla.smugmug.com/gallery/4540199_dFSAU#P-10-15
                >
                > Sugihara no Naome

                Very nice! I love that you actually took the trouble to paint your
                face and lips--excellent! And that look--Sei Shonagon would be proud
                ;)

                I also have to say that things seem to drape nicely, with good
                proportions. Beautiful!

                Shall I compare thee?
                More lovely and temperate
                Than a summer's day.

                -Ii
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 17, 2008

                  > You look marvelous and don't worry about the hair. To be completely
                  > accurate we'll have to have the small noses, slanted eyes and so
                  > forth.
                  Generally speaking, Japanese do not have slanted eyes. Japanese noses
                  are more subdued, but they have a rather distinct shape at least in
                  their idealized form.
                • seven_add1
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 18, 2008
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@...> wrote:

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                    > > You look marvelous and don't worry about the hair. To be completely
                    > > accurate we'll have to have the small noses, slanted eyes and so
                    > > forth.
                    > Generally speaking, Japanese do not have slanted eyes. Japanese noses
                    > are more subdued, but they have a rather distinct shape at least in
                    > their idealized form.

                    You have a suggestion to what I can call that particular Asian eye
                    shape then? My room mate from Hong Kong asked me about it and the best
                    I could come up with was almond or slanted.

                    Kanamori no Tatsume
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 19, 2008
                      Noble Cousin!

                      Rather oddly, it's Western Europeans who often have the more "slanty"
                      eyes. The eyes of Western Europeans slant down on the far side from
                      the nose. The eppicantic (sp) fold near the bridge of the nose of
                      Asiatic eyes evens things out and so such eyes are actually less
                      "slanty". The real interesting thing concerning Japanese eyes is
                      variation within the population. Many Japanese have rather wide eyes
                      while you can also find Japanese with comparatively narrow eyes.

                    • seven_add1
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 19, 2008
                        wrote:

                        > Noble Cousin!
                        >
                        > Rather oddly, it's Western Europeans who often have the more "slanty"
                        > eyes. The eyes of Western Europeans slant down on the far side from
                        > the nose. The eppicantic (sp) fold near the bridge of the nose of
                        > Asiatic eyes evens things out and so such eyes are actually less
                        > "slanty". The real interesting thing concerning Japanese eyes is
                        > variation within the population. Many Japanese have rather wide eyes
                        > while you can also find Japanese with comparatively narrow eyes.
                        >
                        > Your Humble Servant
                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                        > Amateur Scholar

                        True. I tend to refer to Western European eyes as "droopy" eyes,
                        perhaps from my anime obsession. Asiatic eyes don't have that droop
                        usually and some have an upturn slant to them so I tend to call those
                        slanted. While some are nut shape so almond shape.

                        Kanamori no Tatsume
                      • James Eckman
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 19, 2008
                          > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
                          >
                          > The eppicantic (sp)
                          Three to choose from! epicanthal fold, epicanthic fold or epicanthus.

                          > Asiatic eyes evens things out and so such eyes are actually less
                          > "slanty".

                          I think the general shape of the face has a tendency to make the eyes
                          look different depending on cheek bones and the ridge brow. The
                          epicanthus also affects this appearance.

                          > The real interesting thing concerning Japanese eyes is
                          > variation within the population. Many Japanese have rather wide eyes
                          > while you can also find Japanese with comparatively narrow eyes.

                          I tried searching for it, a friend of mine sent a really cool link that
                          was an animated migration of humans out of Africa, Japan had 3 different
                          groups wander through at one time. Note there are several competing
                          theories on this. I have known a cliche Akita bijin who was far paler
                          than I or any of my blondish family members along with very dark
                          complected Japanese. I think the whole slanty eye thing is based off all
                          those horrible yellow papers from the 19th century because I really
                          don't see it nor do my art references.

                          Jim Eckman
                        • Michael Peters
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 19, 2008
                            " Note there are several competing theories on this. I have known a cliche Akita bijin who was far paler than I or any of my blondish family members along with very dark complected Japanese."

                            True but *lots* of folks from Akita have occidental blood (shipwrecked sailors from the west for the most part) and Akita women are famous for their pale beauty.

                            M.J.Peters
                            .

                          • James Eckman
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 20, 2008
                              > Posted by: "seven_add1"
                              > True. I tend to refer to Western European eyes as "droopy" eyes,
                              > perhaps from my anime obsession. Asiatic eyes don't have that droop
                              > usually and some have an upturn slant to them so I tend to call those
                              > slanted. While some are nut shape so almond shape.

                              While eye shapes vary, if you trace someones eyes corner to corner you
                              will find very little or no 'slant'. Note that tilting the head or not
                              looking at the eye head on (not 90%) will affect your perception of
                              this. Various art anatomy books note that it is 'cute' or other such
                              expressions to tilt the eyes, especially for women. Some of these books
                              also have 'ideal' proportions and then note that most people don't fit
                              them!!! I guess it depends on what you want to represent, some of this
                              fashion nonsense is to my mind an evil designed to make people unhappy
                              and to sell products.

                              > Posted by: "Michael Peters"
                              > True but *lots* of folks from Akita have occidental blood
                              > (shipwrecked sailors from the west for the most part)

                              I don't think occidental blood is a large part of this, there are
                              Chinese, mostly Northern and Koreans who have this same pale complexion.

                              > Akita women are famous for their pale beauty.

                              Hence the expression I used, 'cliche Akita bijin'.

                              Jim Eckman
                            • Michael Peters
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 20, 2008
                                Not arguing against the paleness of Northern Chinese and Koreans, but tests also show genetic markers of occidental blood. You also find large numbers from the area have the alcohol stomach enzyme that Japanese are *not* supposed to have.

                                I'd say this points to mixed blood.(konketsu). YMMV.

                                :D> Posted by: "Michael Peters"> True but *lots* of folks from Akita have occidental blood > (shipwrecked sailors from the west for the most part)I don't think occidental blood is a large part of this, there are Chinese, mostly Northern and Koreans who have this same pale complexion.> Akita women are famous for their pale beauty.Hence the expression I used, 'cliche Akita bijin'.Jim Eckman__._,_.

                                4

                                .

                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 21, 2008

                                  > Not arguing against the paleness of Northern Chinese and Koreans,
                                  > but tests also show genetic markers of occidental blood. You also
                                  > find large numbers from the area have the alcohol stomach enzyme
                                  > that Japanese are *not* supposed to have.
                                  >
                                  > I'd say this points to mixed blood.(konketsu). YMMV.

                                  The simple fact is that Japan like almost every other place in the
                                  world has a composite genome. All that noise about being
                                  "monogenetic" is simply national (and preached by the government at
                                  that) mythology. Don't fuss about that too much. Pretty much every
                                  country has national mythology. For example, the "melting pot" in the
                                  United States or the "cultural mosaic" in Canada. Frequently,
                                  national myths have some tenuous connection with reality. In the case
                                  of Japan, Japan is relatively isolated and until the Pacific War had
                                  not been successfully conquered within historical times. Also, I
                                  believe that this "monogentic" stuff is at least in part a reaction
                                  to Japan's loss of the multi-ethnic empire.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 24, 2008
                                    Noble Cousins!

                                    Greetings from Solveig! Please forgive this message. I have been
                                    having problems with the local mail server. I should have rerouted
                                    email away from the local server, but I haven't received any email
                                    from this mailing list for several days now.

                                  • Jamie Ritter
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 24, 2008
                                      Hi solveig!
                                      I see you! :)

                                      "Well behaved women rarely made history"

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 24, 2008
                                        Loud and clear.

                                        Edwinna

                                      • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Apr 24, 2008
                                          Loud at the Northwest!

                                          - Sukeie

                                          listings at AOL Autos.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Apr 29, 2008
                                            Noble Cousins!

                                            Greetings from Solveig! I haven't received any email from this
                                            mailing list for several days. We are having server problems at this
                                            end. Please excuse this posting. Thank you very much!

                                          • Lady Maryam
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 29, 2008
                                              Apparently we are too quiet lately.

                                              Solveig Throndardottir said:
                                              > Noble Cousins!
                                              >
                                              > Greetings from Solveig! I haven't received any email from this
                                              > mailing list for several days. We are having server problems at this end. Please excuse this
                                              > posting. Thank you very much!
                                              >
                                              > Your Humble Servant
                                              > Solveig Throndardottir
                                              > Amateur Scholar

                                            • JL Badgley
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 29, 2008
                                                On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Solveig Throndardottir
                                                <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                                > Noble Cousins!
                                                >
                                                > Greetings from Solveig! I haven't received any email from this
                                                > mailing list for several days. We are having server problems at this
                                                > end. Please excuse this posting. Thank you very much!

                                                On an administrative note: Before posting about not receiving e-mail,
                                                please check the website (http://groups.yahoo.com) to make sure that
                                                the list has had traffic flowing. There haven't been any messages for
                                                the past 4~5 days, so that could be why you haven't received anything.
                                                All lists have periods of quiet.