Re: trying it for the first time

    Message 1 of 91 , Mar 23, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rich Goble <mcse4mci@...> wrote:
      > Certain purples are restricted to the Imperial Family;
      unfortunately I do not have any manner of guide to tell you which
      ones. Again, I would consult Tousando.

      Murasaki (derived from a plant called gromwell) is reserved as one of
      the "forbidden" colors. There are other purple shades that would not
      be prohibited.

      Go here:
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=garb&thread=1204059823&page=1
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.ch12.html

      > Maddalena Alessandra <maddalex@...> wrote:

      > Migoro(body)rectangular 17" by 58".....Sode(sleeve) 17"
      > by 15"

      Nope. 17" x 116", assuming your nape to floor measurement* is 58" and
      17" x 30" for the sode. You're looking at the instructions for making
      a paper template. You'd cut the FABRIC on a fold, so it's twice as
      long. The eri and okumi pieces are not cut on a fold. (*If you want a
      trailing hem, add 12".)

      > Would a purple under kosode be totally wrong with this as I
      > have no white availabe. Heraldicly I wear mainly
      > blue, purple, and yellow.

      Your undergarment layer *should* be white. Use my eri sugata
      instructions further down the page (look for a heading titled "That
      Layering Thing"). You only need a small amount of fabric to make a
      false white under-collar. A remnant 6" x 36" should be ample. Fold it
      in half and sew it into a tube. You may want to put a layer of
      interfacing inside to give it a little crispness. Baste or pin it to
      the inside of the purple kosode collar at the nape of the neck so that
      just a little bit of the folded over edge peeps out from under the
      purple collar layer. You will look like you have a third layer on that
      way. ;-D (Note to self, I REALLY need to get pictures of my fake eri
      and how to put it on....)

      Good luck with your project. Do let us know how it turns out!

      Message 91 of 91 , Apr 5, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "garrettehill" <garrettehill@...> wrote:
        > I am new and I don't know what a Sohei persona is, could you explain a bit more please.

        Sohei were warrior monks. If you do a web search on "Mount Hiei" and "Benkei" you should find some basic information to start with.