[SCA-JML] Pennsic 37 Includes New Class

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2008

      Greetings from Solveig! T'is the time for Pennsic Planning! Here is my
      proposed class list for Pennsic this Summer:

      DEMONSTRATIONS
      ================
      Muhekian - The Taste of Tea (Offered Once)
      Enjoy the taste of tea under the night sky. Please wear Japanese or
      loose-fitting clothing with white socks or tabi and bring a fan if you
      have one. Please do not wear any jewelry or weapons in the tea room.
      Materials $5.00

      Kodo Nyumon - The Sound of Incense (Offered Twice)
      Experience the dalliance of Heian courtiers. Enjoy "listening" to the
      scent of aromatic wood. An introduction to the art and appreciation of
      incense. Incense appreciation is deeply rooted in Heian court culture
      and is associated with Genji Monogatari. The ceremony will be followed
      by a poetry party. Materials $2.00

      Sumo - A Gentle Art (Offered Once)
      Sumo is an ancient and surprisingly gentle martial art first described
      in the Nihongi. An introduction to Sumo history, ritual, construction of
      Sumo equipment, training methods, and rules adopted by the
      Japanese schoolboy Sumo Association. Includes a sumo
      demonstration including popular winning techniques. Handout $1.00

      WORKSHOPS
      ===========
      Leaves of Laughter - Comic Theatre Workshop (Offered Once)
      A participatory workshop introducing several pre-modern theatric forms
      and emphasizing late-medieval improvisational Japanese comic theatre.
      Participants will be introduced to stock characters, theatrical
      devices, and comic theory. We will read several play synopsis and script
      a short play for performance later in the week. Handout $1.00

      Minbu - Japanese Festival Dance (Offered Twice)
      A practical introduction to basic Japanese dance movement and a number
      of festival dances. Participants are encouraged to come to both
      sessions. We will participate in the Yama Kaminari festival later in
      the week.
      Handout $1.00

      LECTURE/SEMINAR
      ================
      Samurai Chef - The Imperial Table (Offered Twice)
      An introduction to the cuisine, etiquette, dietary theory, and food
      preparation techniques of ancient China and Japan. We will
      particularly focus on China of the Six Dynasties period and the
      influence of this period through the T'ang dynasty on Japanese
      culinary culture.

      Samurai Poet - Poetry of Court and Field (Offered Twice)
      Experience the dalliance of Japanese aristocrats. A workshop in Japanese
      poetic form and aesthetics. Includes Japanese poetry from the early
      classical period through the development of Haikai. Experiment with
      metre,
      "pillow words", "seasonal words", poetic ellipsis, and classical
      allusion.
      Handout $1.00

      Life in the Pleasure Quarter -- Sex and Dalliance (Offered Once)
      Sex, sexuality, and leisure in pre-modern Japan. The social
      construction of sexuality in pre-modern Japan. We will also examine
      kinship, leadershp, and inheritance as well as the social construction
      and expression of sexuality. Special attention will placed on the
      portrayal
      of sex and gender in the arts and the evolution of femininity.

      Dawn of the Samurai - The Life of Taira Masakado (Offered Once)
      An introduction to the origins, values, and culture of the
      professional military elite of Japan. The life of Taira Masakado
      provides
      the focus for an introduction to the samurai, their role in 10th-
      century
      society, and the world outside the capital.

      ** NEW CLASS **
      Dai Nihon Kenkyukai - Japanese Research Round-Table (Offered Once)
      A group discussion on resources and research methods for studying
      pre-modern Japan. Participants are encouraged to bring books,
      bibliographies, artifacts, and research projects to share at this
      event.