Musical Instrument Questions

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 13, 2008
      Greetings!

      I have been researching musical instruments in the Heian period court
      music (Gagaku) and have come up with only a few resources online that
      I can actually use....but they are minimal....
      (http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ANCJAPAN/MUSIC.HTM and
      http://inic.utexas.edu/asnic/countries/japan/japmusic.html)

      I was wondering if anyone on this list would have more information
      about this subject, or any information on zithern or biwa construction?

      Thank you for your time!

      Ootani Harukojoou
    • rhoward
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 13, 2008
        Kombanwa,

        Here are a couple of book titles that I've referenced in the past:

        Gagaku: court music and dance. Translated by Don Kenny. With an introd. by William P. Malm.
        by Togi, Masataro
        New York, Walker/Weatherhill [1971]
        ISBN: 0802724450

        Gagaku the music and dances of the japanese imperial
        by Garfias, R. R.
        Theatre Arts Books [1959]

        Music of a thousand autumns : the Tōgaku style of Japanese court music
        by Garfias, Robert.
        Berkeley : University of California Press, [1975]
        ISBN: 0520019776

        Regards,
        Yoshi

        Chamberlain TRM Calontir

        Akitsuki Yoshimitsu - Barony of Coeur d'Ennui, Kingdom of Calontir
        Wealth and rank are like the clouds; I do not wish for such transient things.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 13, 2008

          Greetings from Solveig! Are you perchance interested in books written
          in Japanese on this subject?

        • Jen
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2008
            Kind Solveig~

            I would not be opposed! I think that an English reference would be of
            more use, but this is something I am genuinely interested in, so I
            would be willing to sit and attempt to translate my way through. :)

            Thank you~!

            Ootani Harukojoou
          • Jennifer Kobayashi
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 14, 2008
              This site has some construction details on some
              instruemnts:
              http://jtrad.columbia.jp/eng/inst.html

              Here are a few more sites you might find interesting:

              http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/japan.htm
              http://www.tobunken.go.jp/~geino/index_e.html
              http://tokyocinema.net/GAGAKU.htm

              Good luck in your search.
              Ki no Izumi

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Jen
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
                Wow! These are great sites!! Thank you very much for the heads up, I
                really appreciate it!

                I know trying to make one sounds so silly, but I've looked around at
                prices of these instruments, and for a beginner, it's quite
                daunting....I do have a huge stock of bamboo of all shapes and sizes,
                so maybe one of the bamboo flutes would be a good one to start with!

                Thanks again for the reference sites!

                Ootani Harukojoou

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 15, 2008
                  Ootani-hime,

                  You might also find these interesting:

                  Biwa and performance of the Tale of the Heike:
                  http://www.sonic.net/~tabine/Heike/Heike_performing.html

                  Nobuko Kawashima performing an excerpt from Heike:
                  http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=kQIjaosvrJE

                  Early recordings of koto and gagaku:
                  http://media2.nacs.uci.edu/rgarfias/mp3/japan/japan.html

                  And this little virtual koto is fun to noodle around with:
                  http://www.genkienglish.net/genkijapan/koto.htm

                  This site on traditional Japanese flutes includes instructions on
                  making your own shinobue
                  http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~dl1s-ymgc/index-e.htm