Re: [SCA-JML] RE: Garb and Name questions.

  • Seki Nakagawa
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
      Greetings!
      I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

      Humbly,
      Nakagawa Sukeie

      In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
      Konnichi wa

      Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
      talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
      one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

      Can you suggest any sources?

      Furukusu Masahide

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
        Sorry mistyped, the ones they wear over there do not pass their toes, mine neither.

        Nakagawa Sukeie

        In a message dated 03/06/08 13:23:44 Pacific Standard Time, Seki Nakagawa writes:
        Greetings!
        I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

        Humbly,
        Nakagawa Sukeie

        In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
        Konnichi wa

        Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
        talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
        one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

        Can you suggest any sources?

        Furukusu Masahide

        >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
        the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
        tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

        >Ishikawa Moritake

      • Leon
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
          wrote:
          I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
          found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
          to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
          it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
          place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
          work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
          1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

          > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
          >
          > > Konnichi wa
          > >
          > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
          > > doing it
          > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
          > > "sandle", and
          > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
          combat.

          > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
          feet.
          > Not the toes.
          >
          > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
          behind
          > the balls of the feet.
          > '
          > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
          >

          > Effingham

        • Rich Goble
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
            Go to Tousando - http://tousando.proboards18.com There is an armoring forum there that should contain the information you need or have links to the sites in question. The forum search function works well, as you can search individual forum sections. As far as the lacing goes, try http://www.laces4less.com A lot of us buy from there.

            - Imagawa Tadamori

            wrote:
            I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
            found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
            to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
            it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
            place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
            work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
            1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

            > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
            >
            > > Konnichi wa
            > >
            > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
            > > doing it
            > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
            > > "sandle", and
            > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
            combat.

            > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
            feet.
            > Not the toes.
            >
            > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
            behind
            > the balls of the feet.
            > '
            > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
            >

            > Effingham

          • Seki Nakagawa
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
              Greetings and well met!
              I used macrame cord, a roll cost between 6 and 10 dollars and I have made 3 sets of armour between 1992 and present. None of them have broken or damage, the only thing about it is that is not the real thin, then again you are using plastic barrel (so do I, they last for ever). So it should work for you.

              Humbly,
              Nakagawa Sukeie