RE: Garb and Name questions.

  • masahide@summerscauldron.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
      Konnichi wa

      Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
      talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
      one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

      Can you suggest any sources?

      Furukusu Masahide

      >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
      the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
      tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

      >Ishikawa Moritake

    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
        On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:

        > Konnichi wa
        >
        > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
        > doing it
        > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
        > "sandle", and
        > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

        The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the feet.
        Not the toes.

        The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off behind
        the balls of the feet.
        '
        The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.

        Effingham
      • Seki Nakagawa
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
          Greetings!
          I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

          Humbly,
          Nakagawa Sukeie

          In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
          Konnichi wa

          Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
          talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
          one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

          Can you suggest any sources?

          Furukusu Masahide

          >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
          the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
          tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

          >Ishikawa Moritake

        • Seki Nakagawa
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
            Sorry mistyped, the ones they wear over there do not pass their toes, mine neither.

            Nakagawa Sukeie

            In a message dated 03/06/08 13:23:44 Pacific Standard Time, Seki Nakagawa writes:
            Greetings!
            I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

            Humbly,
            Nakagawa Sukeie

            In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
            Konnichi wa

            Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
            talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
            one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

            Can you suggest any sources?

            Furukusu Masahide

            >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
            the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
            tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

            >Ishikawa Moritake

          • Leon
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
              wrote:
              I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
              found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
              to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
              it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
              place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
              work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
              1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

              > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
              >
              > > Konnichi wa
              > >
              > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
              > > doing it
              > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
              > > "sandle", and
              > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
              combat.

              > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
              feet.
              > Not the toes.
              >
              > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
              behind
              > the balls of the feet.
              > '
              > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
              >

              > Effingham

            • Rich Goble
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                Go to Tousando - http://tousando.proboards18.com There is an armoring forum there that should contain the information you need or have links to the sites in question. The forum search function works well, as you can search individual forum sections. As far as the lacing goes, try http://www.laces4less.com A lot of us buy from there.

                - Imagawa Tadamori

                wrote:
                I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
                found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
                to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
                it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
                place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
                work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
                1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

                > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
                >
                > > Konnichi wa
                > >
                > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                > > doing it
                > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                > > "sandle", and
                > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
                combat.

                > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
                feet.
                > Not the toes.
                >
                > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
                behind
                > the balls of the feet.
                > '
                > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
                >

                > Effingham

              • Seki Nakagawa
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                  Greetings and well met!
                  I used macrame cord, a roll cost between 6 and 10 dollars and I have made 3 sets of armour between 1992 and present. None of them have broken or damage, the only thing about it is that is not the real thin, then again you are using plastic barrel (so do I, they last for ever). So it should work for you.

                  Humbly,
                  Nakagawa Sukeie