Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Help with Garb

  • Seki Nakagawa
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
      Greetings!
      I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir) inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces (and yes I know most of them).

      Humbly,
      Nakagawa Sukeie

      In a message dated 03/04/08 06:32:07 Pacific Standard Time, wodeford@... writes:
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
      wrote:

      > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
      > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
      > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
      > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
      > a better idea to go on.

      Go here first:
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.

      http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
      weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
      members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
      types and everyone looks great.

      Patterns:
      There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
      documents:

      http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html

      http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

      Hope this helps,

    • Tim McShane
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
        Where in An Tir are you? I can think of 5 or 6 Japanese personae (including
        a viscountess) in Avacal alone--and those are just the ones I know by
        name....

        - Shiro

        > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
        inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
        kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
        (and yes I know most of them).

        > Humbly,
        > Nakagawa Sukeie
        >

        > In a message dated 03/04/08 06:32:07 Pacific Standard Time,
        wodeford@... writes:
        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
        > > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
        > > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
        > > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
        > > a better idea to go on.
        >
        > Go here first:
        > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.
        >
        > http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
        > weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
        > members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
        > types and everyone looks great.
        >
        > Patterns:
        > There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
        > documents:
        >
        > http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
        >
        > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        > Saionji no Hanae
        > West Kingdom

        6:35 PM
      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
          On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:
          > Greetings!
          > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
          > inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
          > kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
          > (and yes I know most of them).
          >
          > Humbly,
          > Nakagawa Sukeie

          Try Thailand....

          -Ii
        • Seki Nakagawa

            > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
            inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
            kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
            (and yes I know most of them).

            > Humbly,
            > Nakagawa Sukeie
            >

            > In a message dated 03/04/08 06:32:07 Pacific Standard Time,
            wodeford@... writes:
            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
            > > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
            > > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
            > > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
            > > a better idea to go on.
            >
            > Go here first:
            > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.
            >
            > http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
            > weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
            > members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
            > types and everyone looks great.
            >
            > Patterns:
            > There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
            > documents:
            >
            > http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
            >
            > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            > Saionji no Hanae
            > West Kingdom

            6:35 PM

          • Seki Nakagawa
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
              I feel you! But then again Thailand is such a beautiful country and cheap! By the way where in Thailand are you?

              - Sukeie

              In a message dated 03/07/08 04:18:53 Pacific Standard Time, tatsushu@... writes:
              On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:
              > Greetings!
              > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
              > inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
              > kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
              > (and yes I know most of them).
              >
              > Humbly,
              > Nakagawa Sukeie

              Try Thailand....

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

                > I feel you! But then again Thailand is such a beautiful country and cheap!
                > By the way where in Thailand are you?
                >
                > - Sukeie

                Bangkok. The good part is that there are Kinokuniya and similar book
                stores all over the place :) Have to make sure I don't blow our
                budget on books, no matter how cheap the food might be!

                -Ii
              • Seki Nakagawa
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                  Very nice!
                  I have visited Thai many times during my military career, mostly Pataya Beach were me drop anchors and visited for 1-2 weeks. I had a great time each time and still miss the food and all the bargaining. What do you do over there?

                  Humbly,
                  - Sukeie