Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kataginu

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
      On 3/6/08, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scottc_4@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I would
      > > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
      > > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions about
      > > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
      > > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
      > > version. Thanks.

      > look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
      > should suit you.
      >
      > Saionji no Hanae
      > West Kingdom

      To elaborate a little more: the kataginu is basically a hitatare
      without sleeves. It is one large rectangle at the back, and two thin
      rectangles hanging down the front. One of the easiest garments to
      make (not sure why I haven't made more... hmmm). If you want to get
      really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
      slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
      monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.

      Oh, and if you are going to put a design on the back, make sure you
      measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
      of your hakama! (Oops :0)

      -Ii
    • Seki Nakagawa
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2008
        Very good point!

        -Sukeie

        ...make sure you measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
        of your hakama! (Oops :0)

      • Nick
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
          >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
          >If you want to get
          > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
          > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
          > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.

          The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
          Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
          Or a pattern of where to place them?

          thanks for any help!

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

          > On 3/6/08, wodeford wodeford@... wrote:
          > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" scottc_4@ wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I
          would
          > > > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
          > > > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions
          about
          > > > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
          > > > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
          > > > version. Thanks.

          > > look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
          > > should suit you.
          > >
          > > Saionji no Hanae
          > > West Kingdom
          > >
          > To elaborate a little more: the kataginu is basically a hitatare
          > without sleeves. It is one large rectangle at the back, and two thin
          > rectangles hanging down the front. One of the easiest garments to
          > make (not sure why I haven't made more... hmmm). If you want to get
          > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
          > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
          > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
          >
          > Oh, and if you are going to put a design on the back, make sure you
          > measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
          > of your hakama! (Oops :0)
          >
          > -Ii

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
            On 3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

            > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
            > >If you want to get
            > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
            > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
            > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
            >
            > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
            > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
            > Or a pattern of where to place them?
            >
            > thanks for any help!

            Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
            slightly folded when worn):
            http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100

            Here's the picture they are emulating:
            http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG

            Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
            period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
              > Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
              > slightly folded when worn):
              > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100
              >
              > Here's the picture they are emulating:
              > http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG
              >
              > Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
              > period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

              http://wodefordhall.com/iikataginuback.jpg shows Ii-dono with his
              kataginu "pleated" and held in place by his obi before the hakama went
              on over it.

            • David Nesmith
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                YAY!!! THEY'VE GOT A PICTURE OF "MY" IRIS!!! (sorta)
                Ishikawa Moritake
                gules, a japanese iris or

                JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote: On 3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

                > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                > >If you want to get
                > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
                > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
                > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
                >
                > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
                > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
                > Or a pattern of where to place them?
                >
                > thanks for any help!

                Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                slightly folded when worn):
                http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100

                Here's the picture they are emulating:
                http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG

                Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

                -Ii

                It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                test'; " type=text/css>

              • David
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                  oops! now that I put my glasses on, it is not an iris but the kiri
                  crest. but real close. nice to see a kamon WITHOUT the circle!

                  Ishikawa

                  3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

                  > > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@> wrote:
                  > > >If you want to get
                  > > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give
                  you a
                  > > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
                  > > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
                  > >
                  > > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
                  > > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
                  > > Or a pattern of where to place them?
                  > >
                  > > thanks for any help!
                  > >

                  > Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                  > slightly folded when worn):
                  > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100
                  >
                  > Here's the picture they are emulating:
                  > http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                  > period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.
                  >
                  > -Ii
                  >

                  > It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood.
                  Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                  > test'; " type=text/css>

                • Nick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 29, 2008
                    This is just what I was looking for (and had passed by without even
                    noticing)
                    Thanks so much for the help!