Re: Kataginu

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scottc_4@...> wrote:

      > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I would
      > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
      > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions about
      > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
      > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
      > version. Thanks.

      look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
      should suit you.

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
        On 3/6/08, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scottc_4@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I would
        > > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
        > > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions about
        > > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
        > > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
        > > version. Thanks.

        > look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
        > should suit you.
        >
        > Saionji no Hanae
        > West Kingdom

        To elaborate a little more: the kataginu is basically a hitatare
        without sleeves. It is one large rectangle at the back, and two thin
        rectangles hanging down the front. One of the easiest garments to
        make (not sure why I haven't made more... hmmm). If you want to get
        really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
        slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
        monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.

        Oh, and if you are going to put a design on the back, make sure you
        measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
        of your hakama! (Oops :0)

        -Ii
      • Seki Nakagawa
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2008
          Very good point!

          -Sukeie

          ...make sure you measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
          of your hakama! (Oops :0)

        • Nick
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
            >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
            >If you want to get
            > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
            > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
            > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.

            The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
            Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
            Or a pattern of where to place them?

            thanks for any help!

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

            > On 3/6/08, wodeford wodeford@... wrote:
            > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" scottc_4@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I
            would
            > > > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
            > > > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions
            about
            > > > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
            > > > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
            > > > version. Thanks.

            > > look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
            > > should suit you.
            > >
            > > Saionji no Hanae
            > > West Kingdom
            > >
            > To elaborate a little more: the kataginu is basically a hitatare
            > without sleeves. It is one large rectangle at the back, and two thin
            > rectangles hanging down the front. One of the easiest garments to
            > make (not sure why I haven't made more... hmmm). If you want to get
            > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
            > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
            > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
            >
            > Oh, and if you are going to put a design on the back, make sure you
            > measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
            > of your hakama! (Oops :0)
            >
            > -Ii

          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
              On 3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

              > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
              > >If you want to get
              > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
              > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
              > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
              >
              > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
              > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
              > Or a pattern of where to place them?
              >
              > thanks for any help!

              Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
              slightly folded when worn):
              http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100

              Here's the picture they are emulating:
              http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG

              Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
              period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                > Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                > slightly folded when worn):
                > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100
                >
                > Here's the picture they are emulating:
                > http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG
                >
                > Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                > period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

                http://wodefordhall.com/iikataginuback.jpg shows Ii-dono with his
                kataginu "pleated" and held in place by his obi before the hakama went
                on over it.

              • David Nesmith
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                  YAY!!! THEY'VE GOT A PICTURE OF "MY" IRIS!!! (sorta)
                  Ishikawa Moritake
                  gules, a japanese iris or

                  JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote: On 3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

                  > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                  > >If you want to get
                  > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
                  > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
                  > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
                  >
                  > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
                  > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
                  > Or a pattern of where to place them?
                  >
                  > thanks for any help!

                  Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                  slightly folded when worn):
                  http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100

                  Here's the picture they are emulating:
                  http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG

                  Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                  period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

                  -Ii

                  It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                  test'; " type=text/css>

                • David
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                    oops! now that I put my glasses on, it is not an iris but the kiri
                    crest. but real close. nice to see a kamon WITHOUT the circle!

                    Ishikawa

                    3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

                    > > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@> wrote:
                    > > >If you want to get
                    > > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give
                    you a
                    > > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
                    > > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
                    > >
                    > > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
                    > > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
                    > > Or a pattern of where to place them?
                    > >
                    > > thanks for any help!
                    > >

                    > Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                    > slightly folded when worn):
                    > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100
                    >
                    > Here's the picture they are emulating:
                    > http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG
                    >
                    > Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                    > period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.
                    >
                    > -Ii
                    >

                    > It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood.
                    Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                    > test'; " type=text/css>

                  • Nick
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 29, 2008
                      This is just what I was looking for (and had passed by without even
                      noticing)
                      Thanks so much for the help!