Kataginu

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
      I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I would
      like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
      kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions about
      how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
      overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
      version. Thanks.
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scottc_4@...> wrote:

        > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I would
        > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
        > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions about
        > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
        > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
        > version. Thanks.

        look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
        should suit you.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
          On 3/6/08, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scottc_4@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I would
          > > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
          > > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions about
          > > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
          > > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
          > > version. Thanks.

          > look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
          > should suit you.
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West Kingdom

          To elaborate a little more: the kataginu is basically a hitatare
          without sleeves. It is one large rectangle at the back, and two thin
          rectangles hanging down the front. One of the easiest garments to
          make (not sure why I haven't made more... hmmm). If you want to get
          really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
          slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
          monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.

          Oh, and if you are going to put a design on the back, make sure you
          measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
          of your hakama! (Oops :0)

          -Ii
        • Seki Nakagawa
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2008
            Very good point!

            -Sukeie

            ...make sure you measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
            of your hakama! (Oops :0)

          • Nick
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
              >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
              >If you want to get
              > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
              > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
              > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.

              The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
              Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
              Or a pattern of where to place them?

              thanks for any help!

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:

              > On 3/6/08, wodeford wodeford@... wrote:
              > > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" scottc_4@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I am sure that this question has been raised in the past, but I
              would
              > > > like some help. I am looking for some paterns for proper period
              > > > kataginu. I have found pictures, but no paterns or instructions
              about
              > > > how to make them. I do not mean the later Tokugawa style with the
              > > > overly large stiffened shoulders, but rather the smaller Momoyama
              > > > version. Thanks.

              > > look for a PDF on "Hitatare." It includes a kataginu pattern that
              > > should suit you.
              > >
              > > Saionji no Hanae
              > > West Kingdom
              > >
              > To elaborate a little more: the kataginu is basically a hitatare
              > without sleeves. It is one large rectangle at the back, and two thin
              > rectangles hanging down the front. One of the easiest garments to
              > make (not sure why I haven't made more... hmmm). If you want to get
              > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
              > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
              > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
              >
              > Oh, and if you are going to put a design on the back, make sure you
              > measure where it will fall so it doesn't hide behind your koshi-himo
              > of your hakama! (Oops :0)
              >
              > -Ii

            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                On 3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

                > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                > >If you want to get
                > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
                > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
                > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
                >
                > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
                > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
                > Or a pattern of where to place them?
                >
                > thanks for any help!

                Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                slightly folded when worn):
                http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100

                Here's the picture they are emulating:
                http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG

                Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                  > Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                  > slightly folded when worn):
                  > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100
                  >
                  > Here's the picture they are emulating:
                  > http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                  > period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

                  http://wodefordhall.com/iikataginuback.jpg shows Ii-dono with his
                  kataginu "pleated" and held in place by his obi before the hakama went
                  on over it.

                • David Nesmith
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                    YAY!!! THEY'VE GOT A PICTURE OF "MY" IRIS!!! (sorta)
                    Ishikawa Moritake
                    gules, a japanese iris or

                    JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote: On 3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

                    > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@...> wrote:
                    > >If you want to get
                    > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give you a
                    > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
                    > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
                    >
                    > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
                    > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
                    > Or a pattern of where to place them?
                    >
                    > thanks for any help!

                    Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                    slightly folded when worn):
                    http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100

                    Here's the picture they are emulating:
                    http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG

                    Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                    period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.

                    -Ii

                    It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                    test'; " type=text/css>

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                      oops! now that I put my glasses on, it is not an iris but the kiri
                      crest. but real close. nice to see a kamon WITHOUT the circle!

                      Ishikawa

                      3/29/08, Nick <eldon_seer@...> wrote:

                      > > >"JL Badgley" <tatsushu@> wrote:
                      > > >If you want to get
                      > > > really spiffy, you can set pleats in the front--this will give
                      you a
                      > > > slight 'wing' look if you pull it off right without giving you the
                      > > > monster Edo-period bamboo-reinforced parasails.
                      > >
                      > > The "Hitatare" PDF is great!
                      > > Does anybody have an example of what this looks like with pleats?
                      > > Or a pattern of where to place them?
                      > >
                      > > thanks for any help!
                      > >

                      > Here is one (not permanently pleated, but you can see how it is
                      > slightly folded when worn):
                      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukushoku/f_disp.php?page_no=0000100
                      >
                      > Here's the picture they are emulating:
                      > http://www.sobacanada.com/DSCN0010.JPG
                      >
                      > Unfortunately, most of the other pictures I can find are of later Edo
                      > period kataginu, but I've seen something in between.
                      >
                      > -Ii
                      >

                      > It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood.
                      Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                      > test'; " type=text/css>

                    • Nick
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 29, 2008
                        This is just what I was looking for (and had passed by without even
                        noticing)
                        Thanks so much for the help!