RE: Garb and Name questions.

  • masahide@summerscauldron.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      Konnichi wa

      Have you looked at Otagiri-dono's Tousando website? He has some patterns
      for making waraji.
      http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/waraji.html (specific waraji stuff
      and patterns)
      http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/index.html (general Tanki Yoriaku
      site)

      Furukusu

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
        Greetings!
        I'll have to say that when it comes to cheap material nothing beats Walmart, they carry a good stock of $1.00 a yard, some of it could pass the 10ft. rule, I have made a number of children garbs with these fabrics and got nothing less than complements. And remember, we are here for fun, let the fashion police talk, talk is free. (I did spend a horrific amount of $ in silk at Joann's, for myself, but only after i knew what I was doing).

        Humbly,
        Nakagawa Sukeie
        Silverhart Chatelaine

      • masahide@summerscauldron.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
          Konnichi wa

          Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
          talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
          one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

          Can you suggest any sources?

          Furukusu Masahide

          >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
          the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
          tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

          >Ishikawa Moritake

        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
            On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:

            > Konnichi wa
            >
            > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
            > doing it
            > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
            > "sandle", and
            > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

            The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the feet.
            Not the toes.

            The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off behind
            the balls of the feet.
            '
            The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.

            Effingham
          • Seki Nakagawa
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
              Greetings!
              I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

              Humbly,
              Nakagawa Sukeie

              In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
              Konnichi wa

              Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
              talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
              one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

              Can you suggest any sources?

              Furukusu Masahide

              >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
              the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
              tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

              >Ishikawa Moritake

            • Seki Nakagawa
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                Sorry mistyped, the ones they wear over there do not pass their toes, mine neither.

                Nakagawa Sukeie

                In a message dated 03/06/08 13:23:44 Pacific Standard Time, Seki Nakagawa writes:
                Greetings!
                I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

                Humbly,
                Nakagawa Sukeie

                In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
                Konnichi wa

                Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
                talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
                one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

                Can you suggest any sources?

                Furukusu Masahide

                >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
                the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
                tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

                >Ishikawa Moritake

              • Leon
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                  wrote:
                  I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
                  found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
                  to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
                  it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
                  place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
                  work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
                  1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

                  > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Konnichi wa
                  > >
                  > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                  > > doing it
                  > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                  > > "sandle", and
                  > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
                  combat.

                  > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
                  feet.
                  > Not the toes.
                  >
                  > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
                  behind
                  > the balls of the feet.
                  > '
                  > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
                  >

                  > Effingham

                • Rich Goble
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                    Go to Tousando - http://tousando.proboards18.com There is an armoring forum there that should contain the information you need or have links to the sites in question. The forum search function works well, as you can search individual forum sections. As far as the lacing goes, try http://www.laces4less.com A lot of us buy from there.

                    - Imagawa Tadamori

                    wrote:
                    I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
                    found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
                    to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
                    it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
                    place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
                    work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
                    1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

                    > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > Konnichi wa
                    > >
                    > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                    > > doing it
                    > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                    > > "sandle", and
                    > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
                    combat.

                    > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
                    feet.
                    > Not the toes.
                    >
                    > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
                    behind
                    > the balls of the feet.
                    > '
                    > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
                    >

                    > Effingham

                  • Seki Nakagawa
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                      Greetings and well met!
                      I used macrame cord, a roll cost between 6 and 10 dollars and I have made 3 sets of armour between 1992 and present. None of them have broken or damage, the only thing about it is that is not the real thin, then again you are using plastic barrel (so do I, they last for ever). So it should work for you.

                      Humbly,
                      Nakagawa Sukeie