Re: [SCA-JML] Garb and Name questions.

  • Heather Law
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
      This page has info on waraji plus several links on how to make them
      yourself.

      http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/waraji.jpg

      YIS
      Edwinna

      > > Second, I have had touble finding footwear for my persona as size 15
      > > is very uncommon in Japan, even today.

    • David Nesmith
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
        Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under the toes, rather leave them free to touch the ground. There are special tabi made with leather under the toes just for that reason.

        Ishikawa Moritake

        Heather Law <nlaw001@...> wrote: This page has info on waraji plus several links on how to make them
        yourself.

        http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/waraji.jpg

        YIS
        Edwinna

        > > Second, I have had touble finding footwear for my persona as size 15
        > > is very uncommon in Japan, even today.

        It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

        test'; " type=text/css>

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
          Konnichi wa

          Have you looked at Otagiri-dono's Tousando website? He has some patterns
          for making waraji.
          http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/waraji.html (specific waraji stuff
          and patterns)
          http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/index.html (general Tanki Yoriaku
          site)

          Furukusu

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
            Greetings!
            I'll have to say that when it comes to cheap material nothing beats Walmart, they carry a good stock of $1.00 a yard, some of it could pass the 10ft. rule, I have made a number of children garbs with these fabrics and got nothing less than complements. And remember, we are here for fun, let the fashion police talk, talk is free. (I did spend a horrific amount of $ in silk at Joann's, for myself, but only after i knew what I was doing).

            Humbly,
            Nakagawa Sukeie
            Silverhart Chatelaine

          • masahide@summerscauldron.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
              Konnichi wa

              Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
              talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
              one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

              Can you suggest any sources?

              Furukusu Masahide

              >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
              the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
              tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

              >Ishikawa Moritake

            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:

                > Konnichi wa
                >
                > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                > doing it
                > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                > "sandle", and
                > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

                The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the feet.
                Not the toes.

                The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off behind
                the balls of the feet.
                '
                The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.

                Effingham
              • Seki Nakagawa
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Greetings!
                  I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

                  Humbly,
                  Nakagawa Sukeie

                  In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
                  Konnichi wa

                  Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
                  talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
                  one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

                  Can you suggest any sources?

                  Furukusu Masahide

                  >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
                  the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
                  tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

                  >Ishikawa Moritake

                • Seki Nakagawa
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                    Sorry mistyped, the ones they wear over there do not pass their toes, mine neither.

                    Nakagawa Sukeie

                    In a message dated 03/06/08 13:23:44 Pacific Standard Time, Seki Nakagawa writes:
                    Greetings!
                    I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

                    Humbly,
                    Nakagawa Sukeie

                    In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
                    Konnichi wa

                    Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
                    talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
                    one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

                    Can you suggest any sources?

                    Furukusu Masahide

                    >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
                    the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
                    tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

                    >Ishikawa Moritake

                  • Leon
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                      wrote:
                      I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
                      found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
                      to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
                      it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
                      place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
                      work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
                      1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

                      > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Konnichi wa
                      > >
                      > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                      > > doing it
                      > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                      > > "sandle", and
                      > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
                      combat.

                      > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
                      feet.
                      > Not the toes.
                      >
                      > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
                      behind
                      > the balls of the feet.
                      > '
                      > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
                      >

                      > Effingham

                    • Rich Goble
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                        Go to Tousando - http://tousando.proboards18.com There is an armoring forum there that should contain the information you need or have links to the sites in question. The forum search function works well, as you can search individual forum sections. As far as the lacing goes, try http://www.laces4less.com A lot of us buy from there.

                        - Imagawa Tadamori

                        wrote:
                        I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
                        found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
                        to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
                        it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
                        place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
                        work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
                        1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

                        > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
                        >
                        > > Konnichi wa
                        > >
                        > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                        > > doing it
                        > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                        > > "sandle", and
                        > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
                        combat.

                        > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
                        feet.
                        > Not the toes.
                        >
                        > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
                        behind
                        > the balls of the feet.
                        > '
                        > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
                        >

                        > Effingham

                      • Seki Nakagawa
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                          Greetings and well met!
                          I used macrame cord, a roll cost between 6 and 10 dollars and I have made 3 sets of armour between 1992 and present. None of them have broken or damage, the only thing about it is that is not the real thin, then again you are using plastic barrel (so do I, they last for ever). So it should work for you.

                          Humbly,
                          Nakagawa Sukeie