Re: Garb and Name questions.

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
      wrote:
      . I need help
      > with choosing a material that was easily accessable back then and
      > currently that hopefully wont cost me an arm and a leg.

      http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm has a section on choosing
      appropriate fabrics, plus links to several online sources which I am
      not going to repeat here.

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4FXNRwN44un3wyE8RWG9WKEhm_4McmAXiPrPH-9-Bvo-WCQ-RnUUyKq3cXs1rf6SWoIs1_g7_y1tc4D1Uwa1/waraji.pdf
      has directions for making waraji (sandals). This might be an option
      for you.

    • autumnriver
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
        wrote:

        > Ok, first off the name I'm thinking about is Masamaro, as the name I
        > was given orginally by a friend is from Naruto and to the best of my
        > research was only used in Naruto. Any feedback on if I should change
        > or add to it would be great.

        While "Masamaro" doesn't seem to be a documented name, we can document
        the use of "Masa" and "maro" as elements within male names. However,
        "maro" is an ending usually used for a child's name during the
        medieval period. Is that really what you want?

        Please see Effingham's site
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html and click on
        the "Names" link for a discussion on how Japanese male names are
        formed. You'll need to decide a date for your persona (just ballpark
        figure--names were formed differently in different eras) and whether
        he is going to be kuge (courtier) or buke (samurai) class (or if you
        want to be an artisan or farmer, go right ahead!). This can help you
        narrow down the appropriate form you want to use for your name.

        Also, see your local herald (or go to the Herald's table at a larger
        event) and consult with them. They are always eager for customers!

        --Ki no Kotori
        Calontir

        Hope this helps.
      • Morpha
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4, 2008
          Mangaka (comic artists) often make up names for their characters. These are
          often word plays and combinations of other words.

          wooden geta are easily made and for next to no money (pine + white paint +
          small length of cotton). Not the most comfortable footwear though. Ebay has
          many sellers whom make their own Waruji (straw) sandals, You can see if any
          of them make them big enough to fit you and maybe even weedle the designs
          out of them.

          Speaking of Ebay, it sells copious amounts of printed kimono cotton/silk for
          low low prices.

          On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Robert Jacquemart <lq_firestorm@...>
          wrote:

          > Ok, first off the name I'm thinking about is Masamaro, as the name I
          > was given orginally by a friend is from Naruto and to the best of my
          > research was only used in Naruto. Any feedback on if I should change
          > or add to it would be great.
          >
          > Second, I have had touble finding footwear for my persona as size 15
          > is very uncommon in Japan, even today.
          >
          > Third, I have some garb that consists of pretty much and old martial
          > arts gi that I have and 2 kimonos that don't really fit. I need help
          > with choosing a material that was easily accessable back then and
          > currently that hopefully wont cost me an arm and a leg.
          >
          > Forth, finding a wakasashi to match the Mushashi katana that I use.
          >
          > Anyone with any help or feedback for me would be much appreciated.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Heather Law
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
            This page has info on waraji plus several links on how to make them
            yourself.

            http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/waraji.jpg

            YIS
            Edwinna

            > > Second, I have had touble finding footwear for my persona as size 15
            > > is very uncommon in Japan, even today.

          • David Nesmith
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
              Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under the toes, rather leave them free to touch the ground. There are special tabi made with leather under the toes just for that reason.

              Ishikawa Moritake

              Heather Law <nlaw001@...> wrote: This page has info on waraji plus several links on how to make them
              yourself.

              http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/img/waraji.jpg

              YIS
              Edwinna

              > > Second, I have had touble finding footwear for my persona as size 15
              > > is very uncommon in Japan, even today.

              It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

              test'; " type=text/css>

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5, 2008
                Konnichi wa

                Have you looked at Otagiri-dono's Tousando website? He has some patterns
                for making waraji.
                http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/waraji.html (specific waraji stuff
                and patterns)
                http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/index.html (general Tanki Yoriaku
                site)

                Furukusu

                >wooden geta are easily made and for next to no money (pine + white paint +
                >small length of cotton). Not the most comfortable footwear though. Ebay has
                >many sellers whom make their own Waruji (straw) sandals, You can see if any
                >of them make them big enough to fit you and maybe even weedle the designs
                >out of them.
                <snip>

                http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web
              • Seki Nakagawa
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Greetings!
                  I'll have to say that when it comes to cheap material nothing beats Walmart, they carry a good stock of $1.00 a yard, some of it could pass the 10ft. rule, I have made a number of children garbs with these fabrics and got nothing less than complements. And remember, we are here for fun, let the fashion police talk, talk is free. (I did spend a horrific amount of $ in silk at Joann's, for myself, but only after i knew what I was doing).

                  Humbly,
                  Nakagawa Sukeie
                  Silverhart Chatelaine

                • masahide@summerscauldron.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                    Konnichi wa

                    Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
                    talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
                    one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

                    Can you suggest any sources?

                    Furukusu Masahide

                    >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
                    the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
                    tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

                    >Ishikawa Moritake

                  • Anthony Bryant
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                      On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:

                      > Konnichi wa
                      >
                      > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                      > doing it
                      > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                      > "sandle", and
                      > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

                      The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the feet.
                      Not the toes.

                      The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off behind
                      the balls of the feet.
                      '
                      The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.

                      Effingham
                    • Seki Nakagawa
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                        Greetings!
                        I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

                        Humbly,
                        Nakagawa Sukeie

                        In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
                        Konnichi wa

                        Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
                        talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
                        one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

                        Can you suggest any sources?

                        Furukusu Masahide

                        >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
                        the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
                        tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

                        >Ishikawa Moritake

                      • Seki Nakagawa
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                          Sorry mistyped, the ones they wear over there do not pass their toes, mine neither.

                          Nakagawa Sukeie

                          In a message dated 03/06/08 13:23:44 Pacific Standard Time, Seki Nakagawa writes:
                          Greetings!
                          I own a pair I purchased in while at Toshima, JP. (in the military) and my toes extend out the front. All of the ones that farmers and others wear over there extend pass the toes. Just some info from my personal experience.

                          Humbly,
                          Nakagawa Sukeie

                          In a message dated 03/06/08 10:55:36 Pacific Standard Time, masahide@... writes:
                          Konnichi wa

                          Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been doing it
                          talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length "sandle", and
                          one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in combat.

                          Can you suggest any sources?

                          Furukusu Masahide

                          >Please note that in all the historic prints the waraji do NOT extend under
                          the toes, rather >leave them free to touch the ground. There are special
                          tabi made with leather under the >toes just for that reason.

                          >Ishikawa Moritake

                        • Leon
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                            wrote:
                            I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
                            found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
                            to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
                            it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
                            place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
                            work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
                            1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

                            > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
                            >
                            > > Konnichi wa
                            > >
                            > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                            > > doing it
                            > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                            > > "sandle", and
                            > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
                            combat.

                            > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
                            feet.
                            > Not the toes.
                            >
                            > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
                            behind
                            > the balls of the feet.
                            > '
                            > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
                            >

                            > Effingham

                          • Rich Goble
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 6, 2008
                              Go to Tousando - http://tousando.proboards18.com There is an armoring forum there that should contain the information you need or have links to the sites in question. The forum search function works well, as you can search individual forum sections. As far as the lacing goes, try http://www.laces4less.com A lot of us buy from there.

                              - Imagawa Tadamori

                              wrote:
                              I have a question i am starting to make my armor for combat. i have
                              found many black plastic barrels and am trying to find some cording
                              to tie them together into the armor . i found a sight that shows how
                              it is done but i cannot find any cord. it had a phone number to a
                              place to buy 1/4 inch flat tube nylon cord but the number does not
                              work and it seamed very expensive haveing to buy it in two or more
                              1000 yard roles. can any one help me out with this problem.

                              > On Mar 6, 2008, at 1:54 PM, masahide@... wrote:
                              >
                              > > Konnichi wa
                              > >
                              > > Are you certain about this? In most of the research I have been
                              > > doing it
                              > > talks about two forms of waraji. One that was a full length
                              > > "sandle", and
                              > > one that left the toes and heel free and was primarily used in
                              combat.

                              > The full-length one *is* the one that covers the soles of the
                              feet.
                              > Not the toes.
                              >
                              > The little half-sized one is like the above, only it cuts off
                              behind
                              > the balls of the feet.
                              > '
                              > The only sandal-ish footwear that support the toes are zori.
                              >

                              > Effingham

                            • Seki Nakagawa
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 7, 2008
                                Greetings and well met!
                                I used macrame cord, a roll cost between 6 and 10 dollars and I have made 3 sets of armour between 1992 and present. None of them have broken or damage, the only thing about it is that is not the real thin, then again you are using plastic barrel (so do I, they last for ever). So it should work for you.

                                Humbly,
                                Nakagawa Sukeie