Re: Help with Garb

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
      wrote:

      > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
      > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
      > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
      > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
      > a better idea to go on.

      Go here first:
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.

      http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
      weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
      members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
      types and everyone looks great.

      Patterns:
      There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
      documents:

      http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html

      http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

      Hope this helps,
    • Seki Nakagawa
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
        Greetings!
        I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir) inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces (and yes I know most of them).

        Humbly,
        Nakagawa Sukeie

        wrote:

        > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
        > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
        > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
        > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
        > a better idea to go on.

        Go here first:
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.

        http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
        weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
        members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
        types and everyone looks great.

        Patterns:
        There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
        documents:

        http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html

        http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

        Hope this helps,

      • Tim McShane
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
          Where in An Tir are you? I can think of 5 or 6 Japanese personae (including
          a viscountess) in Avacal alone--and those are just the ones I know by
          name....

          - Shiro

          > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
          inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
          kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
          (and yes I know most of them).

          > Humbly,
          > Nakagawa Sukeie
          >

          > In a message dated 03/04/08 06:32:07 Pacific Standard Time,
          wodeford@... writes:
          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
          > > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
          > > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
          > > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
          > > a better idea to go on.
          >
          > Go here first:
          > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.
          >
          > http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
          > weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
          > members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
          > types and everyone looks great.
          >
          > Patterns:
          > There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
          > documents:
          >
          > http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
          >
          > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West Kingdom

          6:35 PM
        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
            On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:
            > Greetings!
            > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
            > inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
            > kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
            > (and yes I know most of them).
            >
            > Humbly,
            > Nakagawa Sukeie

            Try Thailand....

            -Ii
          • Seki Nakagawa

              > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
              inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
              kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
              (and yes I know most of them).

              > Humbly,
              > Nakagawa Sukeie
              >

              > In a message dated 03/04/08 06:32:07 Pacific Standard Time,
              wodeford@... writes:
              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
              > > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
              > > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
              > > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
              > > a better idea to go on.
              >
              > Go here first:
              > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.
              >
              > http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
              > weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
              > members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
              > types and everyone looks great.
              >
              > Patterns:
              > There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
              > documents:
              >
              > http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
              >
              > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              > Saionji no Hanae
              > West Kingdom

              6:35 PM

            • Seki Nakagawa
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                I feel you! But then again Thailand is such a beautiful country and cheap! By the way where in Thailand are you?

                - Sukeie

                In a message dated 03/07/08 04:18:53 Pacific Standard Time, tatsushu@... writes:
                On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:
                > Greetings!
                > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
                > inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
                > kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
                > (and yes I know most of them).
                >
                > Humbly,
                > Nakagawa Sukeie

                Try Thailand....

              • JL Badgley
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                  On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

                  > I feel you! But then again Thailand is such a beautiful country and cheap!
                  > By the way where in Thailand are you?
                  >
                  > - Sukeie

                  Bangkok. The good part is that there are Kinokuniya and similar book
                  stores all over the place :) Have to make sure I don't blow our
                  budget on books, no matter how cheap the food might be!

                  -Ii
                • Seki Nakagawa
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                    Very nice!
                    I have visited Thai many times during my military career, mostly Pataya Beach were me drop anchors and visited for 1-2 weeks. I had a great time each time and still miss the food and all the bargaining. What do you do over there?

                    Humbly,
                    - Sukeie