Help with Garb

  • Robert Jacquemart
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
      With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
      period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
      help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
      still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
      a better idea to go on. So far all I have is a set of hakama, an old
      gi top, and 2 separate kimonos that don't fit me anymore. If anyone
      can help me figure something out it would be much appreciated. I'm
      also having issues finding footwear in my size, as size 15 is hard to
      come by for any type of footwear be it mundane or otherwise.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
        wrote:

        > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
        > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
        > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
        > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
        > a better idea to go on.

        Go here first:
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.

        http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
        weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
        members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
        types and everyone looks great.

        Patterns:
        There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
        documents:

        http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html

        http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

        Hope this helps,
      • Seki Nakagawa
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
          Greetings!
          I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir) inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces (and yes I know most of them).

          Humbly,
          Nakagawa Sukeie

          wrote:

          > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
          > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
          > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
          > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
          > a better idea to go on.

          Go here first:
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.

          http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
          weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
          members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
          types and everyone looks great.

          Patterns:
          There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
          documents:

          http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html

          http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

          Hope this helps,

        • Tim McShane
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
            Where in An Tir are you? I can think of 5 or 6 Japanese personae (including
            a viscountess) in Avacal alone--and those are just the ones I know by
            name....

            - Shiro

            > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
            inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
            kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
            (and yes I know most of them).

            > Humbly,
            > Nakagawa Sukeie
            >

            > In a message dated 03/04/08 06:32:07 Pacific Standard Time,
            wodeford@... writes:
            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
            > > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
            > > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
            > > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
            > > a better idea to go on.
            >
            > Go here first:
            > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.
            >
            > http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
            > weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
            > members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
            > types and everyone looks great.
            >
            > Patterns:
            > There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
            > documents:
            >
            > http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
            >
            > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            > Saionji no Hanae
            > West Kingdom

            6:35 PM
          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
              On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:
              > Greetings!
              > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
              > inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
              > kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
              > (and yes I know most of them).
              >
              > Humbly,
              > Nakagawa Sukeie

              Try Thailand....

              -Ii
            • Seki Nakagawa

                > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
                inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
                kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
                (and yes I know most of them).

                > Humbly,
                > Nakagawa Sukeie
                >

                > In a message dated 03/04/08 06:32:07 Pacific Standard Time,
                wodeford@... writes:
                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Jacquemart" <lq_firestorm@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > With me being a larger individual (height), I am having issues finding
                > > period garb for my character in the SCA. I know someone that will
                > > help me make the garb I'm looking for and has the patterns, but I'm
                > > still having trouble finding decent resolution pictures for me to have
                > > a better idea to go on.
                >
                > Go here first:
                > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/ and click on Costume History In Japan.
                >
                > http://www.wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm (which I just updated this
                > weekend again thanks to my contributors!) has photos of fellow SCA
                > members in period Japanese dress. You'll see a whole gamut of physical
                > types and everyone looks great.
                >
                > Patterns:
                > There are a bunch loaded here in the group Files section as PDF
                > documents:
                >
                > http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
                >
                > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
                >
                > Hope this helps,
                > Saionji no Hanae
                > West Kingdom

                6:35 PM

              • Seki Nakagawa
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                  I feel you! But then again Thailand is such a beautiful country and cheap! By the way where in Thailand are you?

                  - Sukeie

                  In a message dated 03/07/08 04:18:53 Pacific Standard Time, tatsushu@... writes:
                  On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:
                  > Greetings!
                  > I am telling you, some of you need to move to the northwest (An Tir)
                  > inlands, I am so lonely up here, there's only two of us in a 3/4 of the
                  > kingdom radius, with the highest concentration been in the coastal provinces
                  > (and yes I know most of them).
                  >
                  > Humbly,
                  > Nakagawa Sukeie

                  Try Thailand....

                • JL Badgley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                    On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Seki Nakagawa <sekinakagawa@...> wrote:

                    > I feel you! But then again Thailand is such a beautiful country and cheap!
                    > By the way where in Thailand are you?
                    >
                    > - Sukeie

                    Bangkok. The good part is that there are Kinokuniya and similar book
                    stores all over the place :) Have to make sure I don't blow our
                    budget on books, no matter how cheap the food might be!

                    -Ii
                  • Seki Nakagawa
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 7, 2008
                      Very nice!
                      I have visited Thai many times during my military career, mostly Pataya Beach were me drop anchors and visited for 1-2 weeks. I had a great time each time and still miss the food and all the bargaining. What do you do over there?

                      Humbly,
                      - Sukeie