  • Andrew T Trembley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2008
      So I've posted this on tousando, but I know there are some folks who
      aren't there too, and this was just too good to share.

      There's this web forum, "Immortal Geisha" <http://www.immortalgeisha.com/
      > It's, not surprisingly, focused on Geisha. It's mostly post-SCA
      period, and mostly womenswear. Since I have opportunities to wear post-
      SCA period Japanese, and since they do have tiny bits on menswear if
      you're willing to dig, I check it out once in a while. Someone
      mentioned it on tousando the other day, so I took that as my noodge to
      take a look again.

      They recently (well, in the last few months) added a "Kimono & Kitsuke
      Book Reviews" section that caught my eye:

      The first thing I noticed is that they're good at tagging languages;
      subject lines include little national flag icons. This is cool, it
      makes it easy to find works with English texts.

      One of the reviewed books with English text is "Kimono and the Colors
      of Japan"

      The review piqued my interest. What really got me, though, was some
      sample excerpted text. The author referenced period use of colors, and
      in some cases notable historical (in some cases SCA-period) figures
      who favored those colors. Male notable historical figures. I set up an
      amazon.co.jp account and ordered it and its two companion volumes.

      At the bottom of one of the reviews, I noticed a link for "Naomi no
      Kimono Asobi" <http://www.kimonoasobi.com/>, the personal website for
      Naomi, founder of IG. She's got a blog.

      She just posted a series of color tables from "Japanese Design: Modern
      Approaches to Traditional Elements," "Japanese Colors - Nara to
      Muromachi Era."

      There isn't as much information about this book, and it appears to be
      out-of-print, but I'm taking a chance on it.

      I've been looking for asian color tables and guides for a while now.
      My wearable art gang is always interested in this sort of thing; we
      were talking about it just a few months ago. We'll see if these open
      up any new design possibilities.