Re: [SCA-JML] Another Name Question

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2008
      On Jan 24, 2008 10:03 AM, Shannon Keys <ldypyrate@...> wrote:

      > I am in the process of creating an alternate Japanese personna, and had a
      > question regarding a name. I am looking at Mitzuno Sakami but was confused
      > as to the use of teh "no" article in the name. Effingham-dono's website
      > mentioned the use of that article was largely dropped in later period but
      > might still be seen. I am working on a lady from the Momoyama period, so
      > would I use the simpe family/given name arrangement, or should the "no"
      > article be used?
      >
      > Meadhbh inghen Thaidgh Ui Dohnmaill
      > Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Atlantia

      As already noted, the 'no' is probably not something to concern
      yourself with. Even if it was there, in most cases I would recommend
      registering the name without it and using it if required by the
      format. Japan, like most cultures, had a relatively fluid naming
      practice that does not always mesh with the modern American concept of
      Given Name, Middle Name, Family Name.

      Out of curiosity, where are you finding 'Mitzuno'? I ask because it
      seems like an odd romanization. I would generally expect to see
      either 'Mitsuno', 'Mizuno', 'Miduno', or 'Midzuno'. Of those, I would
      expect 'Mizuno' to be the most commonly used in English.

      If I can be of help, let me know--I'm on the Atlantian Heralds list,
      still (at least until I move in a month or so). There are others here
      who can help as well (Takeda-dono?).

      -Ii Katsumori
      Barony of Stierbach
      Kingdom of Atlantia