Another Name Question

  • Shannon Keys
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2008
      I am in the process of creating an alternate Japanese personna, and had a
      question regarding a name. I am looking at Mitzuno Sakami but was confused
      as to the use of teh "no" article in the name. Effingham-dono's website
      mentioned the use of that article was largely dropped in later period but
      might still be seen. I am working on a lady from the Momoyama period, so
      would I use the simpe family/given name arrangement, or should the "no"
      article be used?

      Meadhbh inghen Thaidgh Ui Dohnmaill
      Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Atlantia

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2008

        Hint #1 The Momoyama period is very very late.
        Hint #2 The -no- when documentably used, pretty much shows up after
        an uji name. There is a very very short list of uji names.

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2008
          On Jan 24, 2008 10:03 AM, Shannon Keys <ldypyrate@...> wrote:

          > I am in the process of creating an alternate Japanese personna, and had a
          > question regarding a name. I am looking at Mitzuno Sakami but was confused
          > as to the use of teh "no" article in the name. Effingham-dono's website
          > mentioned the use of that article was largely dropped in later period but
          > might still be seen. I am working on a lady from the Momoyama period, so
          > would I use the simpe family/given name arrangement, or should the "no"
          > article be used?
          >
          > Meadhbh inghen Thaidgh Ui Dohnmaill
          > Barony of Nottinghill Coill, Atlantia

          As already noted, the 'no' is probably not something to concern
          yourself with. Even if it was there, in most cases I would recommend
          registering the name without it and using it if required by the
          format. Japan, like most cultures, had a relatively fluid naming
          practice that does not always mesh with the modern American concept of
          Given Name, Middle Name, Family Name.

          Out of curiosity, where are you finding 'Mitzuno'? I ask because it
          seems like an odd romanization. I would generally expect to see
          either 'Mitsuno', 'Mizuno', 'Miduno', or 'Midzuno'. Of those, I would
          expect 'Mizuno' to be the most commonly used in English.

          If I can be of help, let me know--I'm on the Atlantian Heralds list,
          still (at least until I move in a month or so). There are others here
          who can help as well (Takeda-dono?).

          -Ii Katsumori
          Barony of Stierbach
          Kingdom of Atlantia