Re: [SCA-JML] Re: name question

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 23, 2008

      Greetings from Solveig! Can I possibly convince you to base your name
      on either "yuki" (snow) or "matsu" (pine tree) ? These are name
      elements which go all the way back to the Yamato period. Yes, Fuyuko
      冬子 works as a modern Japanese name.

      Completely off the subject, but in early Japan, the prefix 小 for
      female names basically meant "Junior". (ibid p.120)

      Thus far, I have found a 春子 Haruko in the Kamakura period, but I
      have not yet found 冬 fuyu being used at all. Of course, I am sort of
      skimming the pages and am up to abput page 157.

      Well, I may have missed it, but I scanned Nihon no Joseimei all the
      way up to the end of the Momoyama period (1600), and I did not spot a
      single instance of ふゆ or 冬 in a name. I did find 春 (Spring)
      and 秋 (Fall), but I do not recall spotting any instance of either
      冬 (Winter) or 夏 (Summer).

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
        > Greetings from Solveig!
        > Use of -ko endings pretty much died out before the Edo period. A lot of
        > ramen=operas (such as undercover shogun) are pretty much set during
        > the Edo period.

        But many of the Taiga dramas are Sengoku period. I do enjoy it when they
        go for earlier periods, though the more modern Shinsengumi one did
        nothing for me, hopefully they will pick other periods in the future.

        Jim Eckman