Re: Custom Thai Silk Site- My Experience

  • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2008
      Ohio, Lady Solveig,
      I bought about 11 yards or so in 2006 for my wedding, so my memory is a
      bit foggy, but I knew I wanted a sturdy weight to the fabric so I went
      with the 4-ply weight, which was perfect. I imagine the 2-ply would be
      a good chemise or scarf-weight fabric and the seller advised me that it
      is a little see-through.

      I sent the seller a scan of the trim I wanted to match and he sent me
      scans of thread colors his weaver would use. I approved and he sent me
      a scan of a swatch of the finished fabric (there is no going back once
      the fabric is woven, so choose your colors carefully). I had pictured a
      more visible difference between the two color threads when woven (sky
      blue and green-ish turquoise), but because they are so fine, the colors
      seemed to blend. You can tell a slight depth of color when the light
      hits the fabric from different directions and when our outfits were
      finally assembled, I was really happy with this subtle iridescence
      instead of the "carnival of color" I had pictured in my head.

      The fabric arrived unwashed (as I had been warned). I had bought 3
      extra yards to make up for shrinkage (probably only needed 2, but it was
      my first fancy garb so I needed the fudging room anyway). 11 yards is a
      lot to wash at once (gentle cycle) in the machine. They didn't get
      rinsed properly and some subtle water stains remain. It might have been
      a good idea to take the wad to a commercial Laundromat.

      It was also tricky to find a good spot to hang 11 yards to dry.
      Fortunately, we had a renter move out during this time and I monopolized
      the closet hanging rod in that spare room for this purpose. I shifted
      the loose rolls of fabric every 8 hours to make sure no bleeding dye
      rested in one spot (there was VERY little bleeding, quite pleased with
      that part.)

      The fabric was very high quality in my opinion, with no slubs or spots.
      I only wish I had the budget to make all my garb from their materials.

      Please feel free to email me with any other questions regarding their
      service. I don't know anyone else who has used this company, but I
      certainly recommend them.

      -Yukiko

      Greetings from Solveig! I checked out the Tai Silk site, and their offer
      to mix warp and woof (sp) threads in weaving fabric is very intriguing.
      However, I do not know anything about the type of weave, the density,
      or the weight of the fabric. Can anyone who has experience with this
      fabric comment upon it further. Thank you very much!