EZ Screen Print review...

  • Andrew T Trembley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2008
      I've seen quite a few folks looking for ways to get period-
      appropriate patterns and designs on to their clothing. Since I've got
      a daimon hitatare kamishimo in the project queue, I started looking
      myself for options. A friend of mine posted (on another link) about
      her success this summer with EZ Screen Print.

      EZ Screen Print <http://www.ezscreenprint.com/> is a silkscreen media
      with a photosensitive mask layer. It's designed so you can print your
      design on paper or transparency, frame up the print and the media,
      expose it to light (direct sunlight or strong fluorescent lamp), wash
      it out and have a screen.

      It's almost as easy as it sounds. We used it to print mon on Momoyama-
      period "square" kataginu.

      We printed mon at the right scale on tranparency media. We then cut
      the transparencies down to fit in the frame for 4"x5" screen blanks
      and put them in the frame. The frame sat for 20 minutes under a
      fluorescent tube (a mini-light-table with the milk-plas removed and
      flipped upside-down suspended over the frame). Then the media got
      pulled out and soaked in water for another 15 minutes in a dark room.

      Once it's soaked, it's pretty safe under light. The exposed (mask)
      areas should be dark blue. The unexposed areas remain light blue and
      wash away pretty easily. Then it's just a matter of blotting it dry
      and putting it under the light for another 15 minutes or so to make
      sure that the masked areas are set up completely.

      Neither of the designs was particularly complicated or detailed, but
      the resulting screen was very sharp and clean.

      We did a few practice strikes on some scrap fabric. We didn't make
      frames for the screens, but we probably should have. The finished
      screens do get more flexible and softer when they're wet, which makes
      getting a good strike more difficult. Creative framing can also
      correct minor alignment issues in your screen. I'm going to check out
      TAP plastics to see what they've got that can be cut with a utility
      knife or a pair of scissors that's still thick and stiff enough for
      frames.

      I found it very helpful to tape the two long sides of the screen down
      to the fabric using blue painter's tape. It prevents the screen from
      sliding. Leaving 2 sides open makes it much easier to remove the
      screen from the fabric cleanly.

      Having never done screen-printing before, I found working with EZ
      Screen Print to be pretty easy. We were able to produce excellent
      results. I can highly recommend this product.

      andy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2008

        > I've seen quite a few folks looking for ways to get period-
        > appropriate patterns and designs on to their clothing. Since I've got
        > a daimon hitatare kamishimo in the project queue, I started looking
        > myself for options. A friend of mine posted (on another link) about
        > her success this summer with EZ Screen Print.

        I agree that the process is quite easy. We learned it in 5th grade or
        6th grade. Also, serography (sp) has been around for a rather long time.
        An alternative to taping the fabric to the frame is to hinge the frame
        to a board and tape the fabric to the board instead. When we were
        silk-screen printing in elementary school, we constructed our printers
        in this way.