Custom Thai Silk Site

  • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
      My lord Nytshaed and I wore our turquoise Thai silk wedding outfits to
      12th night and several kind folks were interested in where we got the
      material. I bought the silk from a company that works directly with the
      weavers in Thailand. You can choose what colors go into the warp and
      weft to achieve subtle or brilliant iridescent effects.

      Be mindful that they are located in Thailand. Most communication is by
      email, so the screen colors from the scans you'll see may look slightly
      different when the product is in your hand.

      http://www.bangkok-thailand.com/about-world-of-thai-silk.htm
      <BLOCKED::http://www.bangkok-thailand.com/about-world-of-thai-silk.htm>

      Yes, the site is hideous, but they are much better weavers than they are
      web-masters ;-)

      YIS
      -Yukiko

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento"
        <elizabeth.leonard@...> wrote:

        > My lord Nytshaed and I wore our turquoise Thai silk wedding outfits to
        > 12th night and several kind folks were interested in where we got the
        > material.

        I can't vouch for how easy or difficult this merchant is to deal with,
        however, I assure you that my retinae are still vibrating from the
        richness and intensity of the color. Lovely stuff!

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2008

          Greetings from Solveig! I checked out the Tai Silk site, and their offer
          to mix warp and woof (sp) threads in weaving fabric is very intriguing.
          However, I do not know anything about the type of weave, the density,
          or the weight of the fabric. Can anyone who has experience with this
          fabric comment upon it further. Thank you very much!

        • ekoogler1@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
            It is a nice, medium-weight silk with a fair amount of body to it. However, the silk I purchased in Thailand from a manufacturer did have slubs in it, which might not be period. To be honest, however, I pretty much ignore that because the fabrics (and the colors) are so glorious!

            Kiri
            From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
            > Noble Cousins!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! I checked out the Tai Silk site, and their offer
            > to mix warp and woof (sp) threads in weaving fabric is very intriguing.
            > However, I do not know anything about the type of weave, the density,
            > or the weight of the fabric. Can anyone who has experience with this
            > fabric comment upon it further. Thank you very much!
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

          • Ellen Badgley
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
              If anyone wants Thai silk, Lord Ii and I will be relocating to
              Thailand in mid-February and we are happy to look for sources of the
              "good stuff". ^.^

              Yes, in my experience Thai silk is slubbier than period Japanese silk
              would have been, but it is really glorious...

              - Abe Akirakeiko

              On Jan 8, 2008 9:23 AM, <ekoogler1@...> wrote:

              > It is a nice, medium-weight silk with a fair amount of body to it. However,
              > the silk I purchased in Thailand from a manufacturer did have slubs in it,
              > which might not be period. To be honest, however, I pretty much ignore that
              > because the fabrics (and the colors) are so glorious!
              >
              > Kiri

              > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
              > > Noble Cousins!
              > >
              > > Greetings from Solveig! I checked out the Tai Silk site, and their offer
              > > to mix warp and woof (sp) threads in weaving fabric is very intriguing.
              > > However, I do not know anything about the type of weave, the density,
              > > or the weight of the fabric. Can anyone who has experience with this
              > > fabric comment upon it further. Thank you very much!
              > >
              > > Your Humble Servant
              > > Solveig Throndardottir
              > > Amateur Scholar

            • Jamie Ritter
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                Now in medieval ages the slubs were considered to show your wealth. The more slubs were considered a sign of prestigue because you could afford to waste the thread and have them in your weave. I don't know about Period Japanese slubs though.

                I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
                Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
                (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
                Jamie Ritter

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Ritter <moonflake1978@...> wrote:

                  > Now in medieval ages the slubs were considered to show your wealth.
                  On what planet?

                  Saionji no Hanae, who believes "Dupioni" translates as "We don't beat
                  our spinners enough."
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008

                    > It is a nice, medium-weight silk with a fair amount of body to it.
                    > However, the silk I purchased in Thailand from a manufacturer did
                    > have slubs in it, which might not be period. To be honest,
                    > however, I pretty much ignore that because the fabrics (and the
                    > colors) are so glorious!
                    Oh, I suspect that slubs are quite period. However, I suspect that in
                    period they would be thought of as a defect instead of spiffy.

                  • squire009
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008

                      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Ritter <moonflake1978@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Now in medieval ages the slubs were considered to show your wealth.
                      > On what planet?
                      >
                      > Saionji no Hanae, who believes "Dupioni" translates as "We don't beat
                      > our spinners enough."

                      How would using the slubby thread be 'wasting it'? Wouldn't wasting it
                      mean not using it?

                      Alcyoneus
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008

                        Greetings from Solveig! What's happening in Thailand? I am very
                        curious. Do take care of yourselves. The Thais that I have met are
                        quite nice.

                      • Andrew T Trembley
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                          On Jan 8, 2008, at 7:24 AM, Jamie Ritter wrote:
                          > Now in medieval ages the slubs were considered to show your wealth.
                          > The more slubs were considered a sign of prestigue because you
                          > could afford to waste the thread and have them in your weave. I
                          > don't know about Period Japanese slubs though.

                          All the documentation I've seen indicates that the finer and cleaner
                          the weave of silk (regardless of period or location) the higher the
                          percieved quality. Old Chinese silk-production manuals always
                          strongly emphasized the careful sorting of cocoons, indicating that
                          single oval cocoons (which don't produce slubs) are most desirable.

                          andy
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jamie Ritter <moonflake1978@...> wrote:

                            > Now in medieval ages the slubs were considered to show your wealth.
                            The more slubs were considered a sign of prestigue because you could
                            afford to waste the thread and have them in your weave. I don't know
                            about Period Japanese slubs though.

                            The following rant is being posted now that I have time to write it.
                            Whoever told you this is selling you a bill of goods.

                            Firstly, for those who may not know what we are talking about, what is
                            a slub? Well, it's an uneven lump of fiber in yarn or thread, usually
                            considered a defect. (I'm leaving out the sorts of interesting funky,
                            chunky yarn that's popular for certain types of knitting projects
                            these days for the purposes of our discussion). Anyone who has ever
                            attempted spinning thread by hand from scratch can tell you that
                            spinning smooth, even thread by hand takes practice, but is quite
                            achievable.

                            I don't spin, but I do know that different fibers have different
                            properties and some appear to be more cooperative than others in terms
                            of spinning smoothly.

                            Ever buy a silk blouse with one of those little tags on it that tells
                            you the imperfections in the weave are what make your garment unique?
                            This is clever modern marketing, not medieval aesthetics. I'd even be
                            willing to bet that the garment label says 100% silk and it'll even be
                            true. Your "unique" textured garment - which, by the way, can't be all
                            that unique if you bought it off a rack somewhere - is probably made
                            of "raw silk" or silk noil.

                            So what is silk noil? Noils are bits of crushed silkworm pupa. This,
                            mixed with scrap fibers leftover from spinning into higher grade silk
                            thread, is gathered and re-spun, then woven into fabric which tends to
                            be non-shiny, soft, and slubby with a somewhat loose weave. In other
                            words, it's the bits that weren't good enough. It sometimes even has a
                            faint odor from the sticky sericin that didn't get removed from the
                            fibers. It takes dye as beautifully as higher quality silks, so it's
                            available in lots of colors, but it's basically cheap stuff. And if
                            modern industrial machines can't spin and weave these junky fiber bits
                            into smooth, even fibers, it's going to be slubby.

                            Ever hear or read the word "shoddy?" We know it usually means
                            something badly made or of poor quality. Know where the word comes
                            from? Shoddy was originally the name of wool yarn or cloth made from
                            scrap bits with new wool added in. Sounds a lot like our silk noil
                            process, doesn't it?

                            One needs to try thinking as if we are REALLY persons of very high
                            rank as opposed to hobbyists trying do appear as such on within the
                            limits of our budgets and modern materials available. The only part of
                            the statement originally posted that is correct is the part about
                            displaying one's wealth on one's back.

                            Now, how to do that? By wearing clothing and/or ornaments of the
                            highest quality available. In terms of textiles, we're talking about
                            cloth woven and dyed by masters in their crafts, regardless of whether
                            it's Flemish wool or Japanese silk. It certainly is not going to have
                            visible imperfections in the forms of unsightly lumps all over it.

                            Don't get me wrong, I like texture. I understand that we are all
                            constrained by what our budgets allow and what materials are available
                            in this day and age. I've used modern machine woven dupioni for some
                            of my projects because it's what I can get. However, it is very
                            important to keep in mind that modern aesthetics and medieval ones are
                            not the same and that those "unique" imperfections in the weave would
                            not have been considered quality workmanship.

                            Here endeth the venting.

                            Saionji no Hanae
                            West
                          • Andrew T Trembley
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                              On Jan 8, 2008, at 5:32 PM, wodeford wrote:
                              > I don't spin, but I do know that different fibers have different
                              > properties and some appear to be more cooperative than others in terms
                              > of spinning smoothly.

                              Silk has properties that only modern synthetics have been available
                              to recreate. Because an individual silk cocoon is made up of a single
                              filament hundreds of meters long, the silk "spinning" process (called
                              "throwing") is much more like twisting threads into yarn than
                              spinning fibers into thread.

                              That means it's ideal for producing fine, clean yarns for weaving.
                              It's just a matter of sorting cocoons into firsts that will produce a
                              clean, long filament and seconds that won't.

                              andy
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                                Saionji hime!

                                Greetings from Solveig! I hope that you did not misunderstand my earlier
                                posting. There are in Japan plenty of traditional ways to reuse old
                                fabric
                                and otherwise make use of such things as slubby fabric. This does not
                                mean that the stuff should be preferred.

                                Lots of things which we now prefer used to be considered inferior.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
                                  wrote:
                                  > Greetings from Solveig! I hope that you did not misunderstand my earlier
                                  > posting.

                                  No, not at all. I was responding to the initial assertion that slubs
                                  were considered [sic] a sign of prestige.

                                  Certainly, fabrics of lesser grades existed and had their uses (and
                                  re-uses!).

                                • Ellen Badgley
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 9, 2008
                                    I am all about using wonderful high-quality silks, but does anyone
                                    other than me love the smell of the sericin in the silk noil? Rather
                                    sweet and nice, and you just don't get it with the other stuff...

                                    Ah, bug spit. *sigh*

                                    - Abe Akirakeiko