Re: [SCA-JML] question for Solveig

  • hector baez
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
      Thank you Solveig.

      Need to clarify myself I would like to find the romaji for and English meaning of the kanji as I don't read Japanese.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig! I actually looked this stuff up several hours
        ago in
        姓氏の語源 ISBN: 9784040614007 which is a book about origins of
        Japanese family names. There appear to be two distinct groups of Iwanami
        out there. The first of these claims descent from the Seiwa Genji via
        the
        小笠原 Ogasawara. The Ogasawara were more or less contemporaries
        with the
        武田 Takeda. I forget what the book had to say about the other
        lineage. Regardless,
        岩波 does not show up in dated sources at my immediate
        disposal. For
        example, there is no mention of this family in Daijirin nor is there
        a mention in
        Historical and Geographical Dictionary of Japan. Sadly, while the
        name origin
        book sometimes gives geneologies and it does specifically mention kamon
        usage, it generally does not provide dates of any sort. I suppose I
        could trudge
        through Daibukan to see if it is mentioned. Daibukan is arranged
        However, this really is a long shot which will have to wait until
        after my office is
        moved (sometime in the next couple of days) and classes start (Monday
        of next
        week).

      • hector baez
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
          Greetings Solveig

          many many thanks it will be to my benefit to wait until you have time to look through your resource of information. if I can find the kamon would that help?

          best regards

          hector

          I owe you a special favor for this :)

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008

            > many many thanks it will be to my benefit to wait until you have
            > time to look through your resource of information. if I can find
            > the kamon would that help?
            It might help differentiate between the two lines.

          • hector baez
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
              Greetings Solveig

              I make an effort to get it.