Re: [SCA-JML] question for Solveig

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! Pretty much every Kanwajiten has an appendix
      which lists kanji used in personal names. There are also quite a few
      books in Japanese which list names of people who lived prior to 1600.
      For example, 鎌倉室町人名事典

    • hector baez
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
        Thank you Solveig.

        Need to clarify myself I would like to find the romaji for and English meaning of the kanji as I don't read Japanese.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig! I actually looked this stuff up several hours
          ago in
          姓氏の語源 ISBN: 9784040614007 which is a book about origins of
          Japanese family names. There appear to be two distinct groups of Iwanami
          out there. The first of these claims descent from the Seiwa Genji via
          the
          小笠原 Ogasawara. The Ogasawara were more or less contemporaries
          with the
          武田 Takeda. I forget what the book had to say about the other
          lineage. Regardless,
          岩波 does not show up in dated sources at my immediate
          disposal. For
          example, there is no mention of this family in Daijirin nor is there
          a mention in
          Historical and Geographical Dictionary of Japan. Sadly, while the
          name origin
          book sometimes gives geneologies and it does specifically mention kamon
          usage, it generally does not provide dates of any sort. I suppose I
          could trudge
          through Daibukan to see if it is mentioned. Daibukan is arranged
          However, this really is a long shot which will have to wait until
          after my office is
          moved (sometime in the next couple of days) and classes start (Monday
          of next
          week).

        • hector baez
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
            Greetings Solveig

            many many thanks it will be to my benefit to wait until you have time to look through your resource of information. if I can find the kamon would that help?

            best regards

            hector

            I owe you a special favor for this :)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008

              > many many thanks it will be to my benefit to wait until you have
              > time to look through your resource of information. if I can find
              > the kamon would that help?
              It might help differentiate between the two lines.

            • hector baez
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
                Greetings Solveig

                I make an effort to get it.