Re: [SCA-JML] question for Solveig

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! Assuming that you wish to be a male member
      of the 武家 (buke), then you should have a three part name as follows:

      I'm not sure off the top of my head about how old Iwanami 岩波 is.
      However, it's a fine publishing company. Daiichi is possibly a valid
      yobina, however 太郎 (Tarou) is more typical for #1 son. Also, during
      the Muromachi period at least, it was common to prefix the yobina
      with a reference to the 氏 (uji) which one belonged to. So for
      example, if you are a member of the 源 (Minamoto) uji, then you
      might have 源太郎 (Gentarou) for a yobina. Nanori are another
      matter. These are typically two part (Chinese style) names read
      using kunyomi (native Japanese) readings. So for example, 家康
      (Ieyasu) is a nanori.

    • hector baez
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
        Thank you
        Solveig

        Yes for I was thinking buke class.
        How would I go about finding out how old is Iwanami, from what my ex-wife said about her family lineage it is old but how old don't know and agree with you the most famous use of the name in current times is the publishing company by the same name. I rather stay away from Tarou...personal preference and to overused in my opinion. thank you for correcting Daiichi with two "i", I always forget that. Is there a place that I can look up nanori and the meaning of the kangi?

        regards

        hector

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig! Pretty much every Kanwajiten has an appendix
          which lists kanji used in personal names. There are also quite a few
          books in Japanese which list names of people who lived prior to 1600.
          For example, 鎌倉室町人名事典

        • hector baez
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
            Thank you Solveig.

            Need to clarify myself I would like to find the romaji for and English meaning of the kanji as I don't read Japanese.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
              Noble Cousin!

              Greetings from Solveig! I actually looked this stuff up several hours
              ago in
              姓氏の語源 ISBN: 9784040614007 which is a book about origins of
              Japanese family names. There appear to be two distinct groups of Iwanami
              out there. The first of these claims descent from the Seiwa Genji via
              the
              小笠原 Ogasawara. The Ogasawara were more or less contemporaries
              with the
              武田 Takeda. I forget what the book had to say about the other
              lineage. Regardless,
              岩波 does not show up in dated sources at my immediate
              disposal. For
              example, there is no mention of this family in Daijirin nor is there
              a mention in
              Historical and Geographical Dictionary of Japan. Sadly, while the
              name origin
              book sometimes gives geneologies and it does specifically mention kamon
              usage, it generally does not provide dates of any sort. I suppose I
              could trudge
              through Daibukan to see if it is mentioned. Daibukan is arranged
              However, this really is a long shot which will have to wait until
              after my office is
              moved (sometime in the next couple of days) and classes start (Monday
              of next
              week).

            • hector baez
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
                Greetings Solveig

                many many thanks it will be to my benefit to wait until you have time to look through your resource of information. if I can find the kamon would that help?

                best regards

                hector

                I owe you a special favor for this :)

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008

                  > many many thanks it will be to my benefit to wait until you have
                  > time to look through your resource of information. if I can find
                  > the kamon would that help?
                  It might help differentiate between the two lines.

                • hector baez
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
                    Greetings Solveig

                    I make an effort to get it.