question for Solveig

  • hector baez
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
      Since the topic regarding on period names
      Is Iwanami Daichi a period name for the SCA?
      Just would like to know if I ever decide to have a Japanese persona.

      regards

      hector

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008

        Greetings from Solveig! Assuming that you wish to be a male member
        of the 武家 (buke), then you should have a three part name as follows:

        I'm not sure off the top of my head about how old Iwanami 岩波 is.
        However, it's a fine publishing company. Daiichi is possibly a valid
        yobina, however 太郎 (Tarou) is more typical for #1 son. Also, during
        the Muromachi period at least, it was common to prefix the yobina
        with a reference to the 氏 (uji) which one belonged to. So for
        example, if you are a member of the 源 (Minamoto) uji, then you
        might have 源太郎 (Gentarou) for a yobina. Nanori are another
        matter. These are typically two part (Chinese style) names read
        using kunyomi (native Japanese) readings. So for example, 家康
        (Ieyasu) is a nanori.

      • hector baez
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008
          Thank you
          Solveig

          Yes for I was thinking buke class.
          How would I go about finding out how old is Iwanami, from what my ex-wife said about her family lineage it is old but how old don't know and agree with you the most famous use of the name in current times is the publishing company by the same name. I rather stay away from Tarou...personal preference and to overused in my opinion. thank you for correcting Daiichi with two "i", I always forget that. Is there a place that I can look up nanori and the meaning of the kangi?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2008

            Greetings from Solveig! Pretty much every Kanwajiten has an appendix
            which lists kanji used in personal names. There are also quite a few
            books in Japanese which list names of people who lived prior to 1600.
            For example, 鎌倉室町人名事典

          • hector baez
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008
              Thank you Solveig.

              Need to clarify myself I would like to find the romaji for and English meaning of the kanji as I don't read Japanese.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2008

                Greetings from Solveig! I actually looked this stuff up several hours
                ago in
                姓氏の語源 ISBN: 9784040614007 which is a book about origins of
                Japanese family names. There appear to be two distinct groups of Iwanami
                out there. The first of these claims descent from the Seiwa Genji via
                the
                小笠原 Ogasawara. The Ogasawara were more or less contemporaries
                with the
                武田 Takeda. I forget what the book had to say about the other
                lineage. Regardless,
                岩波 does not show up in dated sources at my immediate
                disposal. For
                example, there is no mention of this family in Daijirin nor is there
                a mention in
                Historical and Geographical Dictionary of Japan. Sadly, while the
                name origin
                book sometimes gives geneologies and it does specifically mention kamon
                usage, it generally does not provide dates of any sort. I suppose I
                could trudge
                through Daibukan to see if it is mentioned. Daibukan is arranged
                However, this really is a long shot which will have to wait until
                after my office is
                moved (sometime in the next couple of days) and classes start (Monday
                of next
                week).

              • hector baez
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
                  Greetings Solveig

                  many many thanks it will be to my benefit to wait until you have time to look through your resource of information. if I can find the kamon would that help?

                  best regards

                  hector

                  I owe you a special favor for this :)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008

                    > many many thanks it will be to my benefit to wait until you have
                    > time to look through your resource of information. if I can find
                    > the kamon would that help?
                    It might help differentiate between the two lines.

                  • hector baez
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 8, 2008
                      Greetings Solveig

                      I make an effort to get it.