Rites of spring, Hana Matsura

  • Jamie Ritter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008
      So of course the very night we decide to set the date for our Japanese themed event, another Japanese themed event pops up on the calendar... ~_~ However, for those of you interested in attending Hana Matsura The date is April 5th, it is on the midrealm calendar, and our webpage is being built. Ou webminister is uber paranoid about copyright stuff so the background image is some flower image I found in Microsoft's clipart. Please contact me with questions, suggestions, anyone willing to teach classes, etc. etc. Also, I am trying to locate a period fan dance to be perfomed at feast, does anyone know of where I could find one, or learn one?

      I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
      Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
      (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
      Jamie Ritter

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008

        Greetings from Solveig! The problem with fan dances is that I
        believe that they originated in burlesque houses in the United States.
        Fans are used in a variety of Japanese dances. The problem is that
        the ones which I know are not appropriate for performing during
        a feast. However, there are comic dances which were performed during
        picnic like activities. One possibility for during a banquet
        is based on Oda Nobunaga being fond of performing Kowakamai. These
        can easily involve fans. Basically, all you have to do is walk,
        stomp, and pose while someone else recites some martial narrative or
        other or possibly something else appropriate for the season.
        I have a book in English about Kowakamai and I have a book in
        Japanese of Kowakamai texts. Incidentally, the Midrealm schedule
        does not currently link to your event web page. Your baronial web
        page only links to the Midrealm schedule.

      • Jamie Ritter