Searching for an English translation

  • Geordon VanTassle
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2007
      Hello sca-jml,

      I'm trying to find an English translation of Myoan Eisai's "Kissa
      Yojoki" or "Treatise on Tea Drinking for Health". I am not able to
      find any reference to an English translation on the Internet, and
      hope that someone here might be able to steer me in the proper direction.

      Thank you!

      --
      Best regards,
      Geordon mailto:gvantass@...

      "Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." (George Bernard Shaw)

      Free Meditation Course - Reduce Stress Today!

      Meditation is scientifically proven to reduce stress. Find out how you can benefit from the life-changing effects of simple modern meditation.
      Proven results!

      http://www.project-meditation.org/?referrerid=678
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2007

        Greetings from Solveig! There is a recent translation into modern
        Japanese:
        ISBN: 4061594451
        But, I don't know of a translation into English.

      • celticmiste48
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2007
          Geordon,

          I unfortunately do not have a complete translation, however, in two
          books (one of which references the other), Eisai is also referred to
          as going by Yosai (long 'o'), and both books contain brief discussions
          of his Kisso Yojiki. Perhaps they might be of use to you as a starting
          point?

          "The Japanese Way of Tea" by Sen Soshitsu XV, ISBN 0-8248-1990-X
          (Eisai is discussed throughout Chapter 4 of this text)

          The above mentions the following book:

          "Sources of Japanese Tradition, Vol. 1 - From Earliest Times to 1600"
          compiled by Wm. Theodore de Bary, Donald Keene, George Tanabe, and
          Paul Varley.
          ISBN 0-231-12139-3
          (In this book, Eisai is mentioned briefly on page 388 and then in more
          detail starting on page 393.)

          Note: Varley is also an editor on the book "Tea in Japan," which is a
          collection of essays on the history of tea. Eisai is mentioned several
          times, but I did not successfully find a mention of a translated copy
          of his work - what was mentioned in the texts was presumably the
          translation work of the individual essay author(s). "Tea in Japan" is
          published by University of Hawai'i Press, ISBN 0-8248-1717-6 - it's
          worth a read, in my opinion.

          Good luck in your search! Please let us know what you find - I would
          definitely be interested to know if there is a complete translation
          available.

          --Bronwyn

          > I'm trying to find an English translation of Myoan Eisai's "Kissa
          > Yojoki" or "Treatise on Tea Drinking for Health". I am not able to
          > find any reference to an English translation on the Internet, and
          > hope that someone here might be able to steer me in the proper
          direction.

          > Thank you!
          >
          > --
          > Best regards,
          > Geordon
        • Geordon VanTassle
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2007
            Hello celticmiste48,

            Saturday, December 29, 2007, 4:58:52 PM, you wrote:

            c> Good luck in your search! Please let us know what you find - I would
            c> definitely be interested to know if there is a complete translation
            c> available.

            c> --Bronwyn

            Oh, thank you for the leads! Those will most likely help, at least
            some. As a side note, I have sent the same question to a local
            graduate of the Uraskene tea school, who also indicated that she
            didn't know of an English translation, but she's asking around, in her
            circle of knowledge.

            Namaste!

            --
            Best regards,
            Geordon mailto:gvantass@...

            Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2007

              Greetings from Solveig! Do you have a citation for the original
              version of "Kissa Yojoki" in one of the standard collections such
              as ZGR? Thank you very much.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2007

                Greetings from Solveig! There is a discussion of the Kissa Yojoki
                in chapter 4 of The Japanese Way of Tea by Sen Shoushitsu XV
                ISBN: 0-8248-1990-X. But, you probably knew that already.