stiffening headgear

  • lynnx@enteract.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2000
      > I'm also curious about the kanmuri: was it starched or lacquered? I
      > ask because I am looking again at a picture I took while I was there
      > (http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/images/sokutai2.JPG) and it seems as
      > if it is lacquered somehow. I wish I knew for certain, however.

      wow!! Nice pic. Researcher's dream! (Have to check out your
      others if you don't mind)

      Seems to me (just words that sorta floated up when the
      "stiff hat" thing came up)
      (1) Horsehair - I think it's been used in China and/or
      Korea, and would give that sort of (to me anyhow) solid look
      to the fiber. It also might not be as limp as silk usually
      is.
      (2) [no specific word] but seems the Chinese stiffened their
      versions of those hats. A lot of them are very similar to
      the Japanese and, I think, some Korean ones - have to go dig
      out _Hanbok_ (the "Mongol Costume" of Korean trad. wear, but
      also has historical back to ----b.c.)