help - a garb question

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 49 , Dec 13, 2007
      Entry-Level Garb. An excellent term and one that I had totally forgotten.
      Thank you.

      My take, as ignorant as it is for my level is that Garb is a spectrum from one to ten. Zero being a karate gi with shower thongs and a Highlander katana.

      1-3 is basically something that will do with little effort and a mild attempt to look authentic. Kendo hakama, kisode from a store, tatami-rubber zori, stainless katana... basically, if you had watched _the Seven Samurai_ stuff.

      4-7 is where I am. Most people end up here. We try to do the best we can but finances and family and job and other interests prevent us from moving on. Here we replace the zori with woven waraji but the material would be macrame jutte and not rice straw. The 'kimono' (we know this is an inaccurate term but useful so we use it) is cotton or synthetic (to give a silk-like appearance). And we tend to mix thigs from a few centuries together like mine plus gear would range from 1400-1600 or maybe a bit beyond either way. Swords are real, possibly Paul Chen or Cold Steel or Oni Forge, but not totally period as they might have synthetic same or leather wrapping and a modern tsuba. We are looking for something that is basically authentic but still could use some work.

      8-10 are the people we admire. Many of the prolific writers on this site and those who do the websites we refer to are here. Also the rare fashion-nazi. But mostly, when someone like me sees someone likt this we think, "wow! I could do that!" but we never do.

      Everyuone should aspire to being a 10 but no one spould be ashamed to be a 5.

      Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      geocities.com/DesertHenge
      geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ
      groups.yahoo.com/group/TucsonPaganPaddlers/

      Please note: message attached

      Click here to learn more about nursing jobs.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iifeTlsEcldz80eUots532bYopo6q6DcRJArwCF8JgcwvK9ky/
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 17, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rich Goble <mcse4mci@...> wrote:

        > Tachi swords were worn blade down, katana and wakazashi blade up.
        >
        > I just found a website today that elaborates on men's/women's
        sleeve length (it looks modern but at least it will give you an idea)
        - http://www.hanamiweb.com/kimono.html.

        It IS modern, especially all the stuff in section 3.1 about sleeves.
        It's a nice, basic overview if you're interested in the evolution of
        modern women's kimono, otherwise, it may just confuse you.

        Saionji no Hanae,