Re: [SCA-JML] help - a garb question

  • Rie Miller
    Message 1 of 49 , Dec 12, 2007
      Okay, I'm a little cunfused on the sleeve thing, and nothing I have found so
      far explains it.
      He's the 15 year old son of a merchant with military ambitions (who owns two
      dogs that walk themselves LOL)
      What length would you suggest for his sleeves?

      On Dec 12, 2007 2:14 PM, Rick Johnson <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

      > I think the question was about period?
      >
      > When I did my first, I wror 'japanese pajamas' then upgraded to something
      > from a Kurosawa film within a couple months. I saw a Baron with a Japanese
      > persona wear a karate Gi died black while he sat on the throne. His weapons
      > were #4 re-bar welded into a pair of Sai. And this guy had years of
      > experience as a Japanese.
      > So I think she wants an idea as to what it should lok like and not be
      > modern.
      >
      > here is my take which is,of course, biased and very limited in scope.
      > Try to avoid a ninja outfit or karate gi.
      > Kendo or Aikido pants will pass the 20' rule when work with a 'kimono' top
      > (called a Kisode).
      > Hein-style clothing is beautiful and elegant and hard for the beginner to
      > make, Kurosawa-style was long lived but details changed over the years.
      > Rubber flip-flops are tacky. Try to get the tatami covered rubber zori
      > with cloth thongs until you decide if you want to acrually make waraji like
      > I did.
      > Swords were worn up or down depending on the era. I don't remember when
      > they switched. If in doubt, a wakzashi or tanto is ok but harder to find.
      > Bright colors and patterns!
      > The length of your sleeves told a lot about you and your class, age,
      > marital status, how often you walked the dog... just kidding on the last
      > one.
      > I've obviously missed a lot of important stuff.
      >
      > Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      > geocities.com/DesertHenge
      > geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      > geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ
      > groups.yahoo.com/group/TucsonPaganPaddlers/
      >
      > Please note: message attached

      Do we still...
      hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that
      they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that
      among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 17, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rich Goble <mcse4mci@...> wrote:

        > Tachi swords were worn blade down, katana and wakazashi blade up.
        >
        > I just found a website today that elaborates on men's/women's
        sleeve length (it looks modern but at least it will give you an idea)
        - http://www.hanamiweb.com/kimono.html.

        It IS modern, especially all the stuff in section 3.1 about sleeves.
        It's a nice, basic overview if you're interested in the evolution of
        modern women's kimono, otherwise, it may just confuse you.

        Saionji no Hanae,