Re: [SCA-JML] help - a garb question

  • Rick Johnson
    Message 1 of 49 , Dec 12, 2007
      I think the question was about period?

      When I did my first, I wror 'japanese pajamas' then upgraded to something from a Kurosawa film within a couple months. I saw a Baron with a Japanese persona wear a karate Gi died black while he sat on the throne. His weapons were #4 re-bar welded into a pair of Sai. And this guy had years of experience as a Japanese.
      So I think she wants an idea as to what it should lok like and not be modern.

      here is my take which is,of course, biased and very limited in scope.
      Try to avoid a ninja outfit or karate gi.
      Kendo or Aikido pants will pass the 20' rule when work with a 'kimono' top (called a Kisode).
      Hein-style clothing is beautiful and elegant and hard for the beginner to make, Kurosawa-style was long lived but details changed over the years.
      Rubber flip-flops are tacky. Try to get the tatami covered rubber zori with cloth thongs until you decide if you want to acrually make waraji like I did.
      Swords were worn up or down depending on the era. I don't remember when they switched. If in doubt, a wakzashi or tanto is ok but harder to find.
      Bright colors and patterns!
      The length of your sleeves told a lot about you and your class, age, marital status, how often you walked the dog... just kidding on the last one.
      I've obviously missed a lot of important stuff.

      Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
      geocities.com/DesertHenge
      geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
      geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ
      groups.yahoo.com/group/TucsonPaganPaddlers/

      Please note: message attached

      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 17, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rich Goble <mcse4mci@...> wrote:

        > Tachi swords were worn blade down, katana and wakazashi blade up.
        >
        > I just found a website today that elaborates on men's/women's
        sleeve length (it looks modern but at least it will give you an idea)
        - http://www.hanamiweb.com/kimono.html.

        It IS modern, especially all the stuff in section 3.1 about sleeves.
        It's a nice, basic overview if you're interested in the evolution of
        modern women's kimono, otherwise, it may just confuse you.

        Saionji no Hanae,