Re: [SCA-JML] help - a garb question

  • sekinakagawa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 49 , Dec 12, 2007
      Greetings and well met,
      There is no mystery about Japanese garbs, the simples been the Kosode (sort
      of underwear) this is the first layer of clothing as it goes under all other
      Kimono types, you can choose a simple patterns such as a white Kosode and a
      couple of color ones atop (ea. white, light blue, dark blue or black or any
      other color which contrast with the lighter ones). As with the shape it's all
      about rectangles, if you follow the links provided by Izumi-jime you should be
      able to put together something, in the last year, I have put together a
      number of male garbs from the Sengoku Daimyo site (Izumi send you a link) and the
      instructions were simple to follow (I am no expert at sewing).
      Hope this all help and welcome to our site, please feel free to write with
      more questions and browse through our "files" section on this site, you will
      find a lot of patterns.

      Humbly,
      Nakagawa Sukeie
      Silverhart Chatelaine

      To ask a question may be a moments shame,
      But not to ask and remain ignorant is a life long shame.

      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 17, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Rich Goble <mcse4mci@...> wrote:

        > Tachi swords were worn blade down, katana and wakazashi blade up.
        >
        > I just found a website today that elaborates on men's/women's
        sleeve length (it looks modern but at least it will give you an idea)
        - http://www.hanamiweb.com/kimono.html.

        It IS modern, especially all the stuff in section 3.1 about sleeves.
        It's a nice, basic overview if you're interested in the evolution of
        modern women's kimono, otherwise, it may just confuse you.

        Saionji no Hanae,