canteens- non question

  • Richard Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
      Some time ago I asked about canteens and got some ideas that I
      failed to follow other than to make a wooden canteen for my European
      gear.

      Well, and this is a long story... edited for brevity:

      My daughter went to Africa with the Peace Corps. After a year her
      adopte mom asked her what she wanted for her birthday and Cerridwen
      said "out of Africa" so Shea said "ok" and called me. "I am taking
      your daughter to Ireland for her Birthday, want to come along, my
      treat".

      10 days in The Gambia and 20 in Ireland, all paid for!

      A month off work was impossible with my bitch of a boss but my
      Division Manager found out that I had been Construction Engineer
      with the Air Force and asked me to help him build a porch on his new
      house. I agreed and what was supposed to be a single weekend turned
      out to be a solid month of hard work.

      Finally it was done and in return he gave me the entire month of
      November off with pay and said he'd make certain I had a job when I
      returned with no problems at all... + $100 cash.

      Ok, Jane, another supervisor, found out that I did this and asked me
      to do some work at her house. So yesterday I went to her house,
      replaced some lighting, fixed some leaking plumbing, etc.
      She asked "how much" and I refused payment and left.

      On the way home I had an urge to stop at a thrift store and guess
      what I found there?
      three goards and a conch already cut for blowing. All for under $10.

      The conch isn't a triton but Hawaiian but will do until I can find a
      triton and the goards are going to become drinking canteens. pics in
      the photo's section under my name (Rick Johson's Stuff).

      Sometimes the Gods listen to a good deed and sometimes they reward
      you.

      I just have to decide if I will keep or trade the other two goards.

      That and selling my Paul Chen Practical Pro Katana<g>.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007

        Greetings from Solveig! Water is actually pretty prevalent in Japan.
        Canteens are not as big a social invention in Japan as you might
        imagine.

      • Rick Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
          Perhaps not in Japan but in Arizona... and I'd prefer something more authentic than the all-too-common bota.

          Rick Johnson, PO Box 40451, Tucson, Az. 85717
          geocities.com/DesertHenge
          geocities.com/RikJohnson_ERB
          geocities.com/RikJohnson_RLJ
          groups.yahoo.com/group/TucsonPaganPaddlers/

          Please note: message attached

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
            On Dec 9, 2007 5:53 PM, Richard Johnson <rikjohnson@...> wrote:

            > Some time ago I asked about canteens and got some ideas that I
            > failed to follow other than to make a wooden canteen for my European
            > gear.
            >
            > Well, and this is a long story... edited for brevity:
            >
            > My daughter went to Africa with the Peace Corps. After a year her
            > adopte mom asked her what she wanted for her birthday and Cerridwen
            > said "out of Africa" so Shea said "ok" and called me. "I am taking
            > your daughter to Ireland for her Birthday, want to come along, my
            > treat".
            >
            > 10 days in The Gambia and 20 in Ireland, all paid for!
            >
            > A month off work was impossible with my bitch of a boss but my
            > Division Manager found out that I had been Construction Engineer
            > with the Air Force and asked me to help him build a porch on his new
            > house. I agreed and what was supposed to be a single weekend turned
            > out to be a solid month of hard work.
            >
            > Finally it was done and in return he gave me the entire month of
            > November off with pay and said he'd make certain I had a job when I
            > returned with no problems at all... + $100 cash.
            >
            > Ok, Jane, another supervisor, found out that I did this and asked me
            > to do some work at her house. So yesterday I went to her house,
            > replaced some lighting, fixed some leaking plumbing, etc.
            > She asked "how much" and I refused payment and left.
            >
            > On the way home I had an urge to stop at a thrift store and guess
            > what I found there?
            > three goards and a conch already cut for blowing. All for under $10.
            >
            > The conch isn't a triton but Hawaiian but will do until I can find a
            > triton and the goards are going to become drinking canteens. pics in
            > the photo's section under my name (Rick Johson's Stuff).
            >
            > Sometimes the Gods listen to a good deed and sometimes they reward
            > you.
            >
            > I just have to decide if I will keep or trade the other two goards.
            >
            > That and selling my Paul Chen Practical Pro Katana<g>.

            Nice find! I think I may still have a gourd or two downstairs that I
            haven't turned into a canteen yet... sigh.

            BTW, my wife's cousin was supposed to do the opposite of that
            trip--from Ireland to The Gambia. He was studying the folk music
            traditions and their similarities and differences. Unfortunately, due
            to the political situation, I think he ended up in Senegal instead.

            -Ii
          • Rick Johnson
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
              Senegal.. We spent 8 hours sitting in that falling down warehouse they call the Dakar International Airport waiting for our flight.
              But the climate was so different... Hot and dry to cold and wet. Then we arrive back in the Az desert and the temp and rain was the same as Ireland. Cold, cloudy and wet.

              Never did hear any local music in either country. The Irish pubs played only Golden Oldies from America, the Gambians played American Rap.