Correction

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007

      > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
      > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
      > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
      >
      > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
      > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
      > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
      > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
      > as being from period.

      Actually, my criticism of this design is that it combines design
      elements
      which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese kamon. Also, you are
      much more likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than
      just one.
      Finally, while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early
      kamon, they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.

      You may want to take a look at the followign web page:

      http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm

      The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
      "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
      is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
      fletches tomorrow.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • stevenchaines
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
        Greetings Solveig,
        Thank you for assisting Llywus, my Herald, with my kamon registration.
        Per your suggestion, I redesigned using three arrow shafts pointing
        toward a small central circle similar to one in the reference you
        noted: "Otomiya". I will fax Llywus the design tomorrow. Your help
        is greatly appreciated.
        Best,
        Walkelin

        wrote:

        > Noble Cousin!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig!
        >
        > > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
        > > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
        > > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
        > >
        > > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
        > > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
        > > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
        > > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
        > > as being from period.
        >
        > Actually, my criticism of this design is that it combines design
        > elements
        > which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese kamon. Also, you are
        > much more likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than
        > just one.
        > Finally, while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early
        > kamon, they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.
        >
        > You may want to take a look at the followign web page:
        >
        > http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm
        >
        > The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
        > "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
        > is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
        > fletches tomorrow.
        >

        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

      • tadatsune
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2007
          I know that the twin mountains within an annulet is a kamon already
          reserved for Hachirou of Clan Yama Kaminari white on blue. I thought
          this information would be helpful in making sure they were visually
          distinct.

          - Tadatsune