Re: [SCA-JML] Greetings and kamon assistance request

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007

      > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
      > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
      > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
      >
      > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
      > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
      > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
      > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
      > as being from period.

      Actually, my criticism of this design is that combines design elements
      which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese. Also, it is much more
      likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than just one.
      Finally,
      the while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early kamon,
      they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.

      You may want to take a look at the followign web page:

      http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm

      The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
      "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
      is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
      fletches tomorrow.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007

        > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
        > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
        > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
        >
        > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
        > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
        > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
        > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
        > as being from period.

        Actually, my criticism of this design is that it combines design
        elements
        which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese kamon. Also, you are
        much more likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than
        just one.
        Finally, while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early
        kamon, they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.

        You may want to take a look at the followign web page:

        http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm

        The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
        "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
        is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
        fletches tomorrow.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • stevenchaines
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
          Greetings Solveig,
          Thank you for assisting Llywus, my Herald, with my kamon registration.
          Per your suggestion, I redesigned using three arrow shafts pointing
          toward a small central circle similar to one in the reference you
          noted: "Otomiya". I will fax Llywus the design tomorrow. Your help
          is greatly appreciated.
          Best,
          Walkelin

          wrote:

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          > > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
          > > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
          > > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
          > >
          > > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
          > > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
          > > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
          > > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
          > > as being from period.
          >
          > Actually, my criticism of this design is that it combines design
          > elements
          > which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese kamon. Also, you are
          > much more likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than
          > just one.
          > Finally, while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early
          > kamon, they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.
          >
          > You may want to take a look at the followign web page:
          >
          > http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm
          >
          > The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
          > "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
          > is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
          > fletches tomorrow.
          >

          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

        • tadatsune
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2007
            I know that the twin mountains within an annulet is a kamon already
            reserved for Hachirou of Clan Yama Kaminari white on blue. I thought
            this information would be helpful in making sure they were visually
            distinct.

            - Tadatsune