Greetings and kamon assistance request

  • llywus
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
      Greetings to the list from Llywus ap Alan Arglwydd, Herald for the
      Shire of Drygestan in the Kingdom of the Outlands.

      I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
      arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
      a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".

      This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
      evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
      or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
      or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
      as being from period.
      We have looked at many web sites, including several in Japanese, that
      discuss mons and have even found this mon pictured and described
      several times but none of these sites gave any dates of usage. I
      imagine we will have to go to books for our documentation.

      I thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
      Diolchi,
      Llywus
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007

        > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
        > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
        > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
        >
        > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
        > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
        > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
        > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
        > as being from period.

        Actually, my criticism of this design is that combines design elements
        which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese. Also, it is much more
        likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than just one.
        Finally,
        the while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early kamon,
        they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.

        You may want to take a look at the followign web page:

        http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm

        The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
        "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
        is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
        fletches tomorrow.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007

          > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
          > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
          > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
          >
          > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
          > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
          > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
          > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
          > as being from period.

          Actually, my criticism of this design is that it combines design
          elements
          which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese kamon. Also, you are
          much more likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than
          just one.
          Finally, while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early
          kamon, they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.

          You may want to take a look at the followign web page:

          http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm

          The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
          "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
          is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
          fletches tomorrow.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • stevenchaines
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2007
            Greetings Solveig,
            Thank you for assisting Llywus, my Herald, with my kamon registration.
            Per your suggestion, I redesigned using three arrow shafts pointing
            toward a small central circle similar to one in the reference you
            noted: "Otomiya". I will fax Llywus the design tomorrow. Your help
            is greatly appreciated.
            Best,
            Walkelin

            wrote:

            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >
            > > I have a client that is trying to register a kamon that includes an
            > > arrow notch, the flights and lower shaft of an arrow. I have uploaded
            > > a picture of the kamon into the files section as "LlywusMon.gif".
            > >
            > > This submission was returned and one of the reasons was lack of
            > > evidence the the arrow notch was a period mon. It is my hope that one
            > > or more of your members can provide me with evidence to the contrary,
            > > or at least provide resources that we can check to document this mon
            > > as being from period.
            >
            > Actually, my criticism of this design is that it combines design
            > elements
            > which are unlikely to be combined in Japanese kamon. Also, you are
            > much more likely to see two arrow of the fletch ends rather than
            > just one.
            > Finally, while an enclosing anulus does occasionally appear in early
            > kamon, they are much more typical of Edo period and later kamon.
            >
            > You may want to take a look at the followign web page:
            >
            > http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kibutsu/ya.htm
            >
            > The best book that I know of in U.S. libraries is a book called
            > "Daibukan" which is available in some research libraries. It
            > is arranged chronologically. I'll try to remember to look up
            > fletches tomorrow.
            >

            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

          • tadatsune
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 20, 2007
              I know that the twin mountains within an annulet is a kamon already
              reserved for Hachirou of Clan Yama Kaminari white on blue. I thought
              this information would be helpful in making sure they were visually
              distinct.

              - Tadatsune