Re: Appropriate Mon?

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 21, 2007
      MODERATOR NOTE: Please be sure to delete anything from the previous messages that does not require repeating. Many of our members receive their messages in digest form and they should not have to read the same message over and over again. Thank you for your cooperation. Saionji no Hanae, Moderator.

      I have found a few, the most common being the rabbit. here is a link
      to several rabbit Mons.

      http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/animal/usagi.htm
    • Jason
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
        I worked on it a little more, here is the new version.

        http://jmgwilson.googlepages.com/BoarMonLarge.JPG
      • sekinakagawa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
          Greetings and well met!
          I must give my apologies ahead of what I am about to say but from the plain
          point of view it seems to me that the picture of your Mon resembles a hog
          (pig) (maybe because of the nose) more than anything else, I am not an artis or
          a critic just wanted to let you know what I see when I look at it, I mean, it
          is your Mon and you should not have to regret later it's appearance.

          Humbly,
          Nakagawa Sukeie

          But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

        • Jason
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
            If it didn't appear to be a boar I would definitely not be happy with
            it. My current arms is a boar and I wanted to continue using one.

            Ogawa no Ryugo Uchiharu

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

            > Greetings and well met!
            > I must give my apologies ahead of what I am about to say but from
            the plain
            > point of view it seems to me that the picture of your Mon resembles
            a hog
            > (pig) (maybe because of the nose) more than anything else, I am not
            an artis or
            > a critic just wanted to let you know what I see when I look at it, I
            mean, it
            > is your Mon and you should not have to regret later it's appearance.
            >
            > Humbly,
            > Nakagawa Sukeie
            >
            > To ask a question, may be a moments shame,
            > But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
              It does look like a pig, but I'm not so sure about how much like a boar
              it seems. I know that a boar is a wild pig, but usually they aren't
              quite as fat and happy as this one looks. Other than that, I can see no
              problem with it passing as a design based on a traditional mon. But you
              may have had something a little more...shall we say, warlike...in feeling?

              Kiri

              --

              Elaine Koogler
              Consultant

              Dragon's Lair Enterprises

              Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
              knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
              -- C.E. Lawrence
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007

                Greetings from Solveig! I suggest that you think about something that
                looks a bit more like this:

              • David Nesmith
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
                  how 'bout "argent, within an annulet a boar's head caboshed sable" for a device or for a badge, "fieldless, a boars's head caboshed sable" That one might be a little difficult to register as it is only a single charge and there are a lot of boar's heads out there.

                  good luck
                  Ishikawa Moritake

                  Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote: It does look like a pig, but I'm not so sure about how much like a boar

                  --

                  Elaine Koogler
                  Consultant

                  Dragon's Lair Enterprises

                  Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
                  knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                  -- C.E. Lawrence

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                  test'; " type=text/css>

                • David Nesmith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
                    oh, almost forgot, leave the rest to "artistic interpretation"

                    Ishikawa, the original Jap Vader

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 24, 2007
                      Thank you all for your input. I have done a little research and
                      believe I should not have a problem submitting this as a fieldless
                      badge with a description of, "Fieldless, a boar's head couped affronty
                      sable."

                      I was thinking of submitting this one.
                      http://jmgwilson.googlepages.com/boaraffrontyenglish.JPG
                      I would use this one and chalk up the difference to creative license.
                      http://jmgwilson.googlepages.com/BoarMonLarge.JPG

                      As far as making it look more warlike, I'm not that into making it
                      look fierce. I kind of like the jolly look, it suits me. I also
                      think it looks a litte more traditional that way. The animals I have
                      seen in mon haven't appeared to be very fierce, to me anyway.

                      Solveig, I didn't see any pics or links in your post and I am
                      interested to see what you suggested. If you could repost those it
                      would be great.

                      Thank you All
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 24, 2007

                        Greetings from Solveig! I suggest that you think about something that
                        looks a bit more like this:

                        http://www.demoivre.org/Japan/pictures/wake7a.JPG

                        Or this:

                        http://www.demoivre.org/Japan/pictures/wake1.JPG

                        NOTE: These are NOT my pictures. The originals are at:

                        http://www.my-concierge.org/kyushu/contents/concierge/kitakyushu/data/
                        1093825540.htm

                        Unfortunately, I was not able to isolate direct URL's for the pictures.