Re: Appropriate Mon?

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 21, 2007
      MODERATOR NOTE: Please be sure to delete anything from the previous messages that does not require repeating. Many of our members receive their messages in digest form and they should not have to read the same message over and over again. Thank you for your cooperation. Saionji no Hanae, Moderator.

      I have found a few, the most common being the rabbit. here is a link
      to several rabbit Mons.

      http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/animal/usagi.htm
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 21, 2007

        > I don't know that there were 'face shots' of animals registered or
        > used in
        > Mon. But I've not done much research, and could be wrong.
        > The more learned individuals of our little square will hopefully
        > have a
        > better answer.

        Some animals, such as the rabbit, have "face shots". Horses, as i
        recall are often shown from the side.

      • Jason
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
          I worked on it a little more, here is the new version.

          http://jmgwilson.googlepages.com/BoarMonLarge.JPG
        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
            Greetings and well met!
            I must give my apologies ahead of what I am about to say but from the plain
            point of view it seems to me that the picture of your Mon resembles a hog
            (pig) (maybe because of the nose) more than anything else, I am not an artis or
            a critic just wanted to let you know what I see when I look at it, I mean, it
            is your Mon and you should not have to regret later it's appearance.

            Humbly,
            Nakagawa Sukeie

            But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

          • Jason
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
              If it didn't appear to be a boar I would definitely not be happy with
              it. My current arms is a boar and I wanted to continue using one.

              Ogawa no Ryugo Uchiharu

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sekinakagawa@... wrote:

              > Greetings and well met!
              > I must give my apologies ahead of what I am about to say but from
              the plain
              > point of view it seems to me that the picture of your Mon resembles
              a hog
              > (pig) (maybe because of the nose) more than anything else, I am not
              an artis or
              > a critic just wanted to let you know what I see when I look at it, I
              mean, it
              > is your Mon and you should not have to regret later it's appearance.
              >
              > Humbly,
              > Nakagawa Sukeie
              >
              > To ask a question, may be a moments shame,
              > But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.
            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
                It does look like a pig, but I'm not so sure about how much like a boar
                it seems. I know that a boar is a wild pig, but usually they aren't
                quite as fat and happy as this one looks. Other than that, I can see no
                problem with it passing as a design based on a traditional mon. But you
                may have had something a little more...shall we say, warlike...in feeling?

                Kiri

                --

                Elaine Koogler
                Consultant

                Dragon's Lair Enterprises

                Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
                knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                -- C.E. Lawrence
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
                  Noble Cousin!

                  Greetings from Solveig! I suggest that you think about something that
                  looks a bit more like this:

                • David Nesmith
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
                    how 'bout "argent, within an annulet a boar's head caboshed sable" for a device or for a badge, "fieldless, a boars's head caboshed sable" That one might be a little difficult to register as it is only a single charge and there are a lot of boar's heads out there.

                    good luck
                    Ishikawa Moritake

                    Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote: It does look like a pig, but I'm not so sure about how much like a boar

                    --

                    Elaine Koogler
                    Consultant

                    Dragon's Lair Enterprises

                    Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
                    knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                    -- C.E. Lawrence

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    It's loud, it's obnoxious, it scares people, it can raise the blood. Bagpipes, the original rock 'n' roll instrument!

                    test'; " type=text/css>

                  • David Nesmith
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 23, 2007
                      oh, almost forgot, leave the rest to "artistic interpretation"

                      Ishikawa, the original Jap Vader

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 24, 2007
                        Thank you all for your input. I have done a little research and
                        believe I should not have a problem submitting this as a fieldless
                        badge with a description of, "Fieldless, a boar's head couped affronty
                        sable."

                        I was thinking of submitting this one.
                        http://jmgwilson.googlepages.com/boaraffrontyenglish.JPG
                        I would use this one and chalk up the difference to creative license.
                        http://jmgwilson.googlepages.com/BoarMonLarge.JPG

                        As far as making it look more warlike, I'm not that into making it
                        look fierce. I kind of like the jolly look, it suits me. I also
                        think it looks a litte more traditional that way. The animals I have
                        seen in mon haven't appeared to be very fierce, to me anyway.

                        Solveig, I didn't see any pics or links in your post and I am
                        interested to see what you suggested. If you could repost those it
                        would be great.

                        Thank you All
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 24, 2007
                          Noble Cousin!

                          Greetings from Solveig! I suggest that you think about something that
                          looks a bit more like this:

                          http://www.demoivre.org/Japan/pictures/wake7a.JPG

                          Or this:

                          http://www.demoivre.org/Japan/pictures/wake1.JPG

                          NOTE: These are NOT my pictures. The originals are at:

                          http://www.my-concierge.org/kyushu/contents/concierge/kitakyushu/data/
                          1093825540.htm

                          Unfortunately, I was not able to isolate direct URL's for the pictures.