Book

  • Leah Lloyd
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2007
      Mokurai has found a copy of Kure's "Samurai; Arms, Armor, & Costumes" at local Barnes & Noble bookstores in the bargain section, and asked me to pass the information along. Apparently, this book is available all over the state of Pennsylvania EXCEPT for where I'm located (sigh), but it may be near you as well.

      He says it's got photographs using clothes from the Kyoto Costume museum, and is an excellent reference, particularly for the newer person.

      Danabren/Kurokamakiri

    • Park McKellop
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2007
        To quote Effingham:

        Be warned -- much of the text is rather dodgy, and the romanization is VERY problematic and questionable ("ohoyoroi?"). Some of the pictures are also a bit iffy. For someone complaining about movie costume vs. real samurai stuff, some of the photos indicate "costume" design more than real clothing forms. It's detail stuff most people wouldn't notice, but it is annoying.

        Effingham

        I finally picked it up last night, after having looked at it several times. The translations are...unusual. ;) I was unaware that "gauntlets"(kote) were worn on the upper arm until last night.

        It is worth having.

        Alcyoneus

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2007
          Greetings,
          I bought the same book about 3 weeks ago while I was at school in Arkansas
          and felt there was some questionability to the contest, however, I did notice
          that most of the pictures depict items and information that most of use use
          on this site as references, so now I ask myself if the pictures in the
          costumes museum that we reference so much and look just like the actual pictures the
          people are dress like in this book are any good. Thoghts?

          Humbly,
          Nakagawa Sukeie

          but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.