Re: Japanese Garb for the large size person!

    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ashina no Karasu"
      <Ashina.no.karasu@...> wrote:

      > there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama
      pattern that I
      > really enjoy and use frequently.

      NOTE: The Folkwear patterns are for clothing that postdates the SCA
      period and there are some stylistic differences. If you use the hakama
      pattern, you can skip the koshi-ita, a trapezoidal stiffened panel at
      the back waistband. Simply pleat the hakama legs into the waist ties
      instead.

      Their kataginu is very definitely a later style. Skip it and make one
      using the jpgs in our "Files" section.

      If you use the kimono pattern, round the corners of the sleeves. You
      will most likely also have to cut everything a few inches wider -
      modern kimono bolts are usually only 14.5" to 15".

      Two sen worth,
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
        actually
        for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.

      • Ashina no Karasu
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
          The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that needs slight alteration.
          the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to make it period. other
          than that it is a traditional hakama.

          > Noble Cousins!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
          > actually
          > for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          Regards,

          Brendan Barth
          360-621-0011

        • Jennifer Kobayashi
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
            wrote:

            > The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that
            > needs slight alteration.
            > the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to
            > make it period. other
            > than that it is a traditional hakama.
            >
            > On 11/5/07, Solveig Throndardottir
            > <nostrand@...> wrote:

            > > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the
            > > folkwear patter is
            > > actually for monpe which are distinctly different
            > > from hakama.

            To minimize confusion, I will point out that there are
            _several_ Folkwear patterns based on various Japanese
            and other Asian garments - one of the patterns is #112
            Japanese Field Clothing which includes monpei and
            another is #151 Japanese Hakama and Kataginu. See, you
            are both right!

            http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

            I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they
            are there. And that there are several.

            Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • DinoKruz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
              16th century armor - 6 or 7 suits
              Feudal japan , encampment, field armoury etc

              kauzohiro
              sgb

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 6, 2007
                Thank you for the clarity.