Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese Garb for the large size person!

  • Andrew Trembley
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
      > Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
      > Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
      > machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
      > do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
      > year if I drop a hint :)

      Check out my "Sewing Machine Shopper's Guide"
      <http://www.bovil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=48>

      It should help you figure out what you need.

      andy
    • Ashina no Karasu
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
        there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama pattern that I
        really enjoy and use frequently. it might help you when you get to that
        point. good luck

        Ashina no karasu

        --
        Regards,

        Brendan Barth
        360-621-0011

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ashina no Karasu"
          <Ashina.no.karasu@...> wrote:

          > there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama
          pattern that I
          > really enjoy and use frequently.

          NOTE: The Folkwear patterns are for clothing that postdates the SCA
          period and there are some stylistic differences. If you use the hakama
          pattern, you can skip the koshi-ita, a trapezoidal stiffened panel at
          the back waistband. Simply pleat the hakama legs into the waist ties
          instead.

          Their kataginu is very definitely a later style. Skip it and make one
          using the jpgs in our "Files" section.

          If you use the kimono pattern, round the corners of the sleeves. You
          will most likely also have to cut everything a few inches wider -
          modern kimono bolts are usually only 14.5" to 15".

          Two sen worth,
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007

            Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
            actually
            for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.

          • Ashina no Karasu
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
              The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that needs slight alteration.
              the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to make it period. other
              than that it is a traditional hakama.

              > Noble Cousins!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
              > actually
              > for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar

              Regards,

              Brendan Barth
              360-621-0011

            • Jennifer Kobayashi
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                wrote:

                > The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that
                > needs slight alteration.
                > the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to
                > make it period. other
                > than that it is a traditional hakama.
                >
                > On 11/5/07, Solveig Throndardottir
                > <nostrand@...> wrote:

                > > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the
                > > folkwear patter is
                > > actually for monpe which are distinctly different
                > > from hakama.

                To minimize confusion, I will point out that there are
                _several_ Folkwear patterns based on various Japanese
                and other Asian garments - one of the patterns is #112
                Japanese Field Clothing which includes monpei and
                another is #151 Japanese Hakama and Kataginu. See, you
                are both right!

                http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

                I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they
                are there. And that there are several.

                Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • DinoKruz@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                  16th century armor - 6 or 7 suits
                  Feudal japan , encampment, field armoury etc

                  kauzohiro
                  sgb

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 6, 2007
                    Thank you for the clarity.