Re: Hakama/Kosode Age Appropriateness?

    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte <nyxnightingale@...> wrote:

      > Hello!
      >
      > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
      appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
      traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style
      for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

      Yes: You should at least have an uwagi to wear over it as well for
      when you go out in public.

      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007

        > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
        > appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
        > traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right
        > style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period,
        > however.

        You sound a bit undressed. However, you have a good start. I think
        that you should think about having both short and long hakama. Also,
        I recommend a
        hosonaga (looks a lot like a suikan). That should do really well for
        Kamakura period before the Jokyu Disturbance. Also, I suggest
        browsing the Kamakura
        section of the costume museum.

      • John Perrault
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
          Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
          Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
          machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
          do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
          year if I drop a hint :) The construction for the kosode looks pretty
          simple whats all the measurements are done and the fabric is cut! The
          hakama though look more difficult and will probably take a lot of time
          to get right.I imagine so I am sure I'll be writing plenty of emails
          once I get to that point :)

          Thank you

          John

          wodeford wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
          > > My major
          > > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
          > > muscle!
          >
          > How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
          > Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
          > I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
          > not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
          > http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm <http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm>
          > Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.
          >
          > As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
          > frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
          > medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
          > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
          > <http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm> as I have instructions on how
          > to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
          > scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
          > arms stretched out like wings.
          >
          > Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
          > be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
          > around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
          > part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
          > one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
          > This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.
          >
          > There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/
          >
          > To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
          > measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
          > you at the ankle bone.
          >
          > > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
          > > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
          > > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
          > The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
          > of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
          > pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
          > have to tackle.
          >
          > I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
          > white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
          > well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
          > inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
          > undergarment layer!
          >
          > Good luck and welcome.
          >
          > Saionji no Hanae
          > West Kingdom
          >
          > __.

        • Andrew Trembley
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
            > Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
            > Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
            > machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
            > do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
            > year if I drop a hint :)

            Check out my "Sewing Machine Shopper's Guide"
            <http://www.bovil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=48>

            It should help you figure out what you need.

            andy
          • Ashina no Karasu
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
              there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama pattern that I
              really enjoy and use frequently. it might help you when you get to that
              point. good luck

              Ashina no karasu

              --
              Regards,

              Brendan Barth
              360-621-0011

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ashina no Karasu"
                <Ashina.no.karasu@...> wrote:

                > there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama
                pattern that I
                > really enjoy and use frequently.

                NOTE: The Folkwear patterns are for clothing that postdates the SCA
                period and there are some stylistic differences. If you use the hakama
                pattern, you can skip the koshi-ita, a trapezoidal stiffened panel at
                the back waistband. Simply pleat the hakama legs into the waist ties
                instead.

                Their kataginu is very definitely a later style. Skip it and make one
                using the jpgs in our "Files" section.

                If you use the kimono pattern, round the corners of the sleeves. You
                will most likely also have to cut everything a few inches wider -
                modern kimono bolts are usually only 14.5" to 15".

                Two sen worth,
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007

                  Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                  actually
                  for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.

                • Ashina no Karasu
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                    The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that needs slight alteration.
                    the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to make it period. other
                    than that it is a traditional hakama.

                    > Noble Cousins!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                    > actually
                    > for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.
                    >
                    > Your Humble Servant
                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                    > Amateur Scholar

                    Regards,

                    Brendan Barth
                    360-621-0011

                  • Jennifer Kobayashi
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that
                      > needs slight alteration.
                      > the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to
                      > make it period. other
                      > than that it is a traditional hakama.
                      >
                      > On 11/5/07, Solveig Throndardottir
                      > <nostrand@...> wrote:

                      > > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the
                      > > folkwear patter is
                      > > actually for monpe which are distinctly different
                      > > from hakama.

                      To minimize confusion, I will point out that there are
                      _several_ Folkwear patterns based on various Japanese
                      and other Asian garments - one of the patterns is #112
                      Japanese Field Clothing which includes monpei and
                      another is #151 Japanese Hakama and Kataginu. See, you
                      are both right!

                      http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

                      I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they
                      are there. And that there are several.

                      Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • DinoKruz@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                        16th century armor - 6 or 7 suits
                        Feudal japan , encampment, field armoury etc

                        kauzohiro
                        sgb

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 6, 2007
                          Thank you for the clarity.