Re: [SCA-JML] Rites of Spring

    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

      Greetings from Solveig! Thank you for correcting your spelling.
      Kam'butsu'e is the festival of
      the historical Buddha's birthday and takes place each April 8th.
      Hanami or Ohanami is the
      annual cherry blossom viewing festival and pretty-much varies in time
      by location.

    • Jamie Ritter
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
        I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.

        I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
        Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
        (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
        Jamie Ritter

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

          > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
          > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
          > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
          The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
          read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
          want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
          cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
          out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
          specific festivals.

        • Jamie Ritter

            > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
            > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
            > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
            The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
            read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
            want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
            cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
            out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
            specific festivals.

          • John Perrault
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
              Konbanwa,

              Seeing how I have a deep love of both modern and feudal Japanese culture
              I was thinking about a Japanese (Heian or Kamakura) persona.. My major
              problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
              muscle! Now from what I have seen the clothing seems to be fairly
              voluminous so I don't think I would look too bad in a very upscaled
              version I think, but I am by no means an expert in clothing medieval or
              modern! I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
              sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing machine
              in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)

              Domo Arigatou,

              John Perrault
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                > My major
                > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                > muscle!

                How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm
                Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.

                As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm as I have instructions on how
                to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                arms stretched out like wings.

                Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.

                There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/

                To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                you at the ankle bone.

                > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                have to tackle.

                I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                undergarment layer!

                Good luck and welcome.

              • Charlotte
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                  Hello!

                  I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                  Any tips would be appreciated. ^_^

                  Peace, love, harmony, and all that jazz.
                  Charlotte
                  www.annunciata.net

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte <nyxnightingale@...> wrote:

                    > Hello!
                    >
                    > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                    appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                    traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style
                    for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                    Yes: You should at least have an uwagi to wear over it as well for
                    when you go out in public.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007

                      > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                      > appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                      > traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right
                      > style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period,
                      > however.

                      You sound a bit undressed. However, you have a good start. I think
                      that you should think about having both short and long hakama. Also,
                      I recommend a
                      hosonaga (looks a lot like a suikan). That should do really well for
                      Kamakura period before the Jokyu Disturbance. Also, I suggest
                      browsing the Kamakura
                      section of the costume museum.

                    • John Perrault
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                        Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                        Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                        machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                        do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                        year if I drop a hint :) The construction for the kosode looks pretty
                        simple whats all the measurements are done and the fabric is cut! The
                        hakama though look more difficult and will probably take a lot of time
                        to get right.I imagine so I am sure I'll be writing plenty of emails
                        once I get to that point :)

                        Thank you

                        John

                        wodeford wrote:

                        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                        > > My major
                        > > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                        > > muscle!
                        >
                        > How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                        > Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                        > I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                        > not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                        > http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm <http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm>
                        > Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.
                        >
                        > As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                        > frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                        > medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                        > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
                        > <http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm> as I have instructions on how
                        > to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                        > scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                        > arms stretched out like wings.
                        >
                        > Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                        > be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                        > around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                        > part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                        > one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                        > This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.
                        >
                        > There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/
                        >
                        > To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                        > measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                        > you at the ankle bone.
                        >
                        > > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                        > > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                        > > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                        > The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                        > of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                        > pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                        > have to tackle.
                        >
                        > I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                        > white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                        > well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                        > inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                        > undergarment layer!
                        >
                        > Good luck and welcome.
                        >
                        > Saionji no Hanae
                        > West Kingdom
                        >
                        > __.

                      • Andrew Trembley
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                          > Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                          > Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                          > machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                          > do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                          > year if I drop a hint :)

                          Check out my "Sewing Machine Shopper's Guide"
                          <http://www.bovil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=48>

                          It should help you figure out what you need.

                          andy
                        • Ashina no Karasu
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                            there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama pattern that I
                            really enjoy and use frequently. it might help you when you get to that
                            point. good luck

                            Ashina no karasu

                            --
                            Regards,

                            Brendan Barth
                            360-621-0011

                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ashina no Karasu"
                              <Ashina.no.karasu@...> wrote:

                              > there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama
                              pattern that I
                              > really enjoy and use frequently.

                              NOTE: The Folkwear patterns are for clothing that postdates the SCA
                              period and there are some stylistic differences. If you use the hakama
                              pattern, you can skip the koshi-ita, a trapezoidal stiffened panel at
                              the back waistband. Simply pleat the hakama legs into the waist ties
                              instead.

                              Their kataginu is very definitely a later style. Skip it and make one
                              using the jpgs in our "Files" section.

                              If you use the kimono pattern, round the corners of the sleeves. You
                              will most likely also have to cut everything a few inches wider -
                              modern kimono bolts are usually only 14.5" to 15".

                              Two sen worth,
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007

                                Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                actually
                                for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.

                              • Ashina no Karasu
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                  The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that needs slight alteration.
                                  the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to make it period. other
                                  than that it is a traditional hakama.

                                  > Noble Cousins!
                                  >
                                  > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                  > actually
                                  > for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.
                                  >
                                  > Your Humble Servant
                                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                                  > Amateur Scholar

                                  Regards,

                                  Brendan Barth
                                  360-621-0011

                                • Jennifer Kobayashi
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                    wrote:

                                    > The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that
                                    > needs slight alteration.
                                    > the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to
                                    > make it period. other
                                    > than that it is a traditional hakama.
                                    >
                                    > On 11/5/07, Solveig Throndardottir
                                    > <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                    > > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the
                                    > > folkwear patter is
                                    > > actually for monpe which are distinctly different
                                    > > from hakama.

                                    To minimize confusion, I will point out that there are
                                    _several_ Folkwear patterns based on various Japanese
                                    and other Asian garments - one of the patterns is #112
                                    Japanese Field Clothing which includes monpei and
                                    another is #151 Japanese Hakama and Kataginu. See, you
                                    are both right!

                                    http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

                                    I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they
                                    are there. And that there are several.

                                    Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • DinoKruz@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                      16th century armor - 6 or 7 suits
                                      Feudal japan , encampment, field armoury etc

                                      kauzohiro
                                      sgb

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 6, 2007
                                        Thank you for the clarity.