Re: [SCA-JML] Rites of Spring

  • Jamie Ritter
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
      Tsukime suggested the flower festival or Kambutsue which, the actual festival is 3 days after the event is scheduled for so I am thinking of using that. BTW the date for the event is April 5th. So it should be before schools let out. Let me know if you (or other OOK people) want to come and I will talk with the local hotels about a block of rooms. The closest hotel is about 15 minutes from site.

      I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
      Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
      (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
      Jamie Ritter

      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
        sounds like ill have to make sure i swing down for
        rites of spring :)
        kiyohara
        shire of vamished wood

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig! Thank you for correcting your spelling.
          Kam'butsu'e is the festival of
          the historical Buddha's birthday and takes place each April 8th.
          Hanami or Ohanami is the
          annual cherry blossom viewing festival and pretty-much varies in time
          by location.

        • Jamie Ritter

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

              > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
              > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
              > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
              The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
              read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
              want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
              cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
              out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
              specific festivals.

            • Jamie Ritter

                > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
                > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
                > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
                The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
                read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
                want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
                cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
                out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
                specific festivals.

              • John Perrault
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Konbanwa,

                  Seeing how I have a deep love of both modern and feudal Japanese culture
                  I was thinking about a Japanese (Heian or Kamakura) persona.. My major
                  problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                  muscle! Now from what I have seen the clothing seems to be fairly
                  voluminous so I don't think I would look too bad in a very upscaled
                  version I think, but I am by no means an expert in clothing medieval or
                  modern! I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                  sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing machine
                  in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)

                  Domo Arigatou,

                  John Perrault
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                    > My major
                    > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                    > muscle!

                    How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                    Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                    I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                    not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                    http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm
                    Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.

                    As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                    frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                    medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                    http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm as I have instructions on how
                    to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                    scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                    arms stretched out like wings.

                    Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                    be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                    around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                    part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                    one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                    This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.

                    There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/

                    To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                    measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                    you at the ankle bone.

                    > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                    > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                    > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                    The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                    of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                    pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                    have to tackle.

                    I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                    white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                    well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                    inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                    undergarment layer!

                    Good luck and welcome.

                  • Charlotte
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                      Hello!

                      I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                      Any tips would be appreciated. ^_^

                      Peace, love, harmony, and all that jazz.
                      Charlotte
                      www.annunciata.net

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte <nyxnightingale@...> wrote:

                        > Hello!
                        >
                        > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                        appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                        traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style
                        for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                        Yes: You should at least have an uwagi to wear over it as well for
                        when you go out in public.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007

                          > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                          > appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                          > traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right
                          > style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period,
                          > however.

                          You sound a bit undressed. However, you have a good start. I think
                          that you should think about having both short and long hakama. Also,
                          I recommend a
                          hosonaga (looks a lot like a suikan). That should do really well for
                          Kamakura period before the Jokyu Disturbance. Also, I suggest
                          browsing the Kamakura
                          section of the costume museum.

                        • John Perrault
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                            Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                            Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                            machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                            do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                            year if I drop a hint :) The construction for the kosode looks pretty
                            simple whats all the measurements are done and the fabric is cut! The
                            hakama though look more difficult and will probably take a lot of time
                            to get right.I imagine so I am sure I'll be writing plenty of emails
                            once I get to that point :)

                            Thank you

                            John

                            wodeford wrote:

                            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                            > > My major
                            > > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                            > > muscle!
                            >
                            > How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                            > Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                            > I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                            > not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                            > http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm <http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm>
                            > Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.
                            >
                            > As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                            > frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                            > medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                            > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
                            > <http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm> as I have instructions on how
                            > to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                            > scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                            > arms stretched out like wings.
                            >
                            > Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                            > be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                            > around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                            > part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                            > one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                            > This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.
                            >
                            > There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/
                            >
                            > To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                            > measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                            > you at the ankle bone.
                            >
                            > > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                            > > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                            > > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                            > The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                            > of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                            > pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                            > have to tackle.
                            >
                            > I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                            > white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                            > well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                            > inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                            > undergarment layer!
                            >
                            > Good luck and welcome.
                            >
                            > Saionji no Hanae
                            > West Kingdom
                            >
                            > __.

                          • Andrew Trembley
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                              > Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                              > Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                              > machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                              > do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                              > year if I drop a hint :)

                              Check out my "Sewing Machine Shopper's Guide"
                              <http://www.bovil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=48>

                              It should help you figure out what you need.

                              andy
                            • Ashina no Karasu
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama pattern that I
                                really enjoy and use frequently. it might help you when you get to that
                                point. good luck

                                Ashina no karasu

                                --
                                Regards,

                                Brendan Barth
                                360-621-0011

                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ashina no Karasu"
                                  <Ashina.no.karasu@...> wrote:

                                  > there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama
                                  pattern that I
                                  > really enjoy and use frequently.

                                  NOTE: The Folkwear patterns are for clothing that postdates the SCA
                                  period and there are some stylistic differences. If you use the hakama
                                  pattern, you can skip the koshi-ita, a trapezoidal stiffened panel at
                                  the back waistband. Simply pleat the hakama legs into the waist ties
                                  instead.

                                  Their kataginu is very definitely a later style. Skip it and make one
                                  using the jpgs in our "Files" section.

                                  If you use the kimono pattern, round the corners of the sleeves. You
                                  will most likely also have to cut everything a few inches wider -
                                  modern kimono bolts are usually only 14.5" to 15".

                                  Two sen worth,
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                    Noble Cousins!

                                    Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                    actually
                                    for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.

                                  • Ashina no Karasu
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                      The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that needs slight alteration.
                                      the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to make it period. other
                                      than that it is a traditional hakama.

                                      > Noble Cousins!
                                      >
                                      > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                      > actually
                                      > for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.
                                      >
                                      > Your Humble Servant
                                      > Solveig Throndardottir
                                      > Amateur Scholar

                                      Regards,

                                      Brendan Barth
                                      360-621-0011

                                    • Jennifer Kobayashi
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                        wrote:

                                        > The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that
                                        > needs slight alteration.
                                        > the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to
                                        > make it period. other
                                        > than that it is a traditional hakama.
                                        >
                                        > On 11/5/07, Solveig Throndardottir
                                        > <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                        > > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the
                                        > > folkwear patter is
                                        > > actually for monpe which are distinctly different
                                        > > from hakama.

                                        To minimize confusion, I will point out that there are
                                        _several_ Folkwear patterns based on various Japanese
                                        and other Asian garments - one of the patterns is #112
                                        Japanese Field Clothing which includes monpei and
                                        another is #151 Japanese Hakama and Kataginu. See, you
                                        are both right!

                                        http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

                                        I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they
                                        are there. And that there are several.

                                        Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • DinoKruz@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                          16th century armor - 6 or 7 suits
                                          Feudal japan , encampment, field armoury etc

                                          kauzohiro
                                          sgb

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 6, 2007
                                            Thank you for the clarity.