Re: [SCA-JML] Rites of Spring

  • Jamie Ritter
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
      Very cool, I will definately be posting info on here all about the event, including a link to the site. :) My Boyfriend will be at Crystal Ball but I will be at a conference in Orlando. :(

      I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
      Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
      (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
      Jamie Ritter

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
          sounds like ill have to make sure i swing down for
          rites of spring :)
          kiyohara
          shire of vamished wood

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! Thank you for correcting your spelling.
            Kam'butsu'e is the festival of
            the historical Buddha's birthday and takes place each April 8th.
            Hanami or Ohanami is the
            annual cherry blossom viewing festival and pretty-much varies in time
            by location.

          • Jamie Ritter

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

                > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
                > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
                > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
                The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
                read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
                want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
                cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
                out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
                specific festivals.

              • Jamie Ritter

                  > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
                  > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
                  > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
                  The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
                  read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
                  want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
                  cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
                  out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
                  specific festivals.

                • John Perrault
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Konbanwa,

                    Seeing how I have a deep love of both modern and feudal Japanese culture
                    I was thinking about a Japanese (Heian or Kamakura) persona.. My major
                    problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                    muscle! Now from what I have seen the clothing seems to be fairly
                    voluminous so I don't think I would look too bad in a very upscaled
                    version I think, but I am by no means an expert in clothing medieval or
                    modern! I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                    sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing machine
                    in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)

                    Domo Arigatou,

                    John Perrault
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                      > My major
                      > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                      > muscle!

                      How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                      Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                      I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                      not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                      http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm
                      Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.

                      As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                      frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                      medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                      http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm as I have instructions on how
                      to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                      scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                      arms stretched out like wings.

                      Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                      be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                      around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                      part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                      one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                      This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.

                      There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/

                      To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                      measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                      you at the ankle bone.

                      > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                      > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                      > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                      The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                      of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                      pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                      have to tackle.

                      I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                      white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                      well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                      inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                      undergarment layer!

                      Good luck and welcome.

                    • Charlotte
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                        Hello!

                        I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                        Any tips would be appreciated. ^_^

                        Peace, love, harmony, and all that jazz.
                        Charlotte
                        www.annunciata.net

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte <nyxnightingale@...> wrote:

                          > Hello!
                          >
                          > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                          appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                          traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style
                          for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                          Yes: You should at least have an uwagi to wear over it as well for
                          when you go out in public.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007

                            > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                            > appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                            > traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right
                            > style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period,
                            > however.

                            You sound a bit undressed. However, you have a good start. I think
                            that you should think about having both short and long hakama. Also,
                            I recommend a
                            hosonaga (looks a lot like a suikan). That should do really well for
                            Kamakura period before the Jokyu Disturbance. Also, I suggest
                            browsing the Kamakura
                            section of the costume museum.

                          • John Perrault
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                              Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                              Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                              machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                              do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                              year if I drop a hint :) The construction for the kosode looks pretty
                              simple whats all the measurements are done and the fabric is cut! The
                              hakama though look more difficult and will probably take a lot of time
                              to get right.I imagine so I am sure I'll be writing plenty of emails
                              once I get to that point :)

                              Thank you

                              John

                              wodeford wrote:

                              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                              > > My major
                              > > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                              > > muscle!
                              >
                              > How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                              > Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                              > I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                              > not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                              > http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm <http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm>
                              > Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.
                              >
                              > As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                              > frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                              > medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                              > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
                              > <http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm> as I have instructions on how
                              > to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                              > scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                              > arms stretched out like wings.
                              >
                              > Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                              > be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                              > around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                              > part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                              > one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                              > This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.
                              >
                              > There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/
                              >
                              > To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                              > measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                              > you at the ankle bone.
                              >
                              > > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                              > > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                              > > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                              > The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                              > of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                              > pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                              > have to tackle.
                              >
                              > I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                              > white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                              > well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                              > inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                              > undergarment layer!
                              >
                              > Good luck and welcome.
                              >
                              > Saionji no Hanae
                              > West Kingdom
                              >
                              > __.

                            • Andrew Trembley
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                > Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                                > Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                                > machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                                > do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                                > year if I drop a hint :)

                                Check out my "Sewing Machine Shopper's Guide"
                                <http://www.bovil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=48>

                                It should help you figure out what you need.

                                andy
                              • Ashina no Karasu
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                  there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama pattern that I
                                  really enjoy and use frequently. it might help you when you get to that
                                  point. good luck

                                  Ashina no karasu

                                  --
                                  Regards,

                                  Brendan Barth
                                  360-621-0011

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ashina no Karasu"
                                    <Ashina.no.karasu@...> wrote:

                                    > there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama
                                    pattern that I
                                    > really enjoy and use frequently.

                                    NOTE: The Folkwear patterns are for clothing that postdates the SCA
                                    period and there are some stylistic differences. If you use the hakama
                                    pattern, you can skip the koshi-ita, a trapezoidal stiffened panel at
                                    the back waistband. Simply pleat the hakama legs into the waist ties
                                    instead.

                                    Their kataginu is very definitely a later style. Skip it and make one
                                    using the jpgs in our "Files" section.

                                    If you use the kimono pattern, round the corners of the sleeves. You
                                    will most likely also have to cut everything a few inches wider -
                                    modern kimono bolts are usually only 14.5" to 15".

                                    Two sen worth,
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                      Noble Cousins!

                                      Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                      actually
                                      for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.

                                    • Ashina no Karasu
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                        The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that needs slight alteration.
                                        the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to make it period. other
                                        than that it is a traditional hakama.

                                        > Noble Cousins!
                                        >
                                        > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                        > actually
                                        > for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.
                                        >
                                        > Your Humble Servant
                                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                                        > Amateur Scholar

                                        Regards,

                                        Brendan Barth
                                        360-621-0011

                                      • Jennifer Kobayashi
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                          wrote:

                                          > The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that
                                          > needs slight alteration.
                                          > the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to
                                          > make it period. other
                                          > than that it is a traditional hakama.
                                          >
                                          > On 11/5/07, Solveig Throndardottir
                                          > <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                          > > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the
                                          > > folkwear patter is
                                          > > actually for monpe which are distinctly different
                                          > > from hakama.

                                          To minimize confusion, I will point out that there are
                                          _several_ Folkwear patterns based on various Japanese
                                          and other Asian garments - one of the patterns is #112
                                          Japanese Field Clothing which includes monpei and
                                          another is #151 Japanese Hakama and Kataginu. See, you
                                          are both right!

                                          http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

                                          I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they
                                          are there. And that there are several.

                                          Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • DinoKruz@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                            16th century armor - 6 or 7 suits
                                            Feudal japan , encampment, field armoury etc

                                            kauzohiro
                                            sgb

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 6, 2007
                                              Thank you for the clarity.