Re: [SCA-JML] Rites of Spring

  • David Williams
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
      YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      My Lady and I are in Shattered Crystal and are working on Japanese personna!
      We'll be there. Any chance to dress Japanese!

      Cristen and Celestria

      Jamie Ritter <moonflake1978@...> wrote:
      Corection, Celebrating Sakura

      I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
      Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
      (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
      Jamie Ritter

      Ok, I don't know if my last email went through or not so I will re send this. As of Last night my bid for Rites of Spring in Illiton was accepted. I have been planning on a Japanese theme, and have been looking into spring type themes, and I found out that the time frame that my event is scheduled for is right in the very brief time frame that the cherry blossom trees bloom so I am thinking of using the name "Celebrating Hakura a japanese cherry blossom festival" ? Any thoughts? or suggestions?

      I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
      Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
      (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
      Jamie Ritter

      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.com

    • Jamie Ritter

          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
            sounds like ill have to make sure i swing down for
            rites of spring :)
            kiyohara
            shire of vamished wood

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

              Greetings from Solveig! Thank you for correcting your spelling.
              Kam'butsu'e is the festival of
              the historical Buddha's birthday and takes place each April 8th.
              Hanami or Ohanami is the
              annual cherry blossom viewing festival and pretty-much varies in time
              by location.

            • Jamie Ritter

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

                  > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
                  > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
                  > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
                  The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
                  read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
                  want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
                  cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
                  out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
                  specific festivals.

                • Jamie Ritter

                    > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
                    > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
                    > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
                    The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
                    read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
                    want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
                    cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
                    out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
                    specific festivals.

                  • John Perrault
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Konbanwa,

                      Seeing how I have a deep love of both modern and feudal Japanese culture
                      I was thinking about a Japanese (Heian or Kamakura) persona.. My major
                      problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                      muscle! Now from what I have seen the clothing seems to be fairly
                      voluminous so I don't think I would look too bad in a very upscaled
                      version I think, but I am by no means an expert in clothing medieval or
                      modern! I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                      sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing machine
                      in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)

                      Domo Arigatou,

                      John Perrault
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                        > My major
                        > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                        > muscle!

                        How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                        Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                        I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                        not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                        http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm
                        Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.

                        As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                        frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                        medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                        http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm as I have instructions on how
                        to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                        scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                        arms stretched out like wings.

                        Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                        be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                        around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                        part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                        one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                        This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.

                        There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/

                        To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                        measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                        you at the ankle bone.

                        > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                        > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                        > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                        The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                        of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                        pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                        have to tackle.

                        I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                        white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                        well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                        inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                        undergarment layer!

                        Good luck and welcome.

                      • Charlotte
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                          Hello!

                          I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                          Any tips would be appreciated. ^_^

                          Peace, love, harmony, and all that jazz.
                          Charlotte
                          www.annunciata.net

                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte <nyxnightingale@...> wrote:

                            > Hello!
                            >
                            > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                            appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                            traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style
                            for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                            Yes: You should at least have an uwagi to wear over it as well for
                            when you go out in public.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007

                              > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                              > appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                              > traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right
                              > style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period,
                              > however.

                              You sound a bit undressed. However, you have a good start. I think
                              that you should think about having both short and long hakama. Also,
                              I recommend a
                              hosonaga (looks a lot like a suikan). That should do really well for
                              Kamakura period before the Jokyu Disturbance. Also, I suggest
                              browsing the Kamakura
                              section of the costume museum.

                            • John Perrault
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                                Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                                machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                                do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                                year if I drop a hint :) The construction for the kosode looks pretty
                                simple whats all the measurements are done and the fabric is cut! The
                                hakama though look more difficult and will probably take a lot of time
                                to get right.I imagine so I am sure I'll be writing plenty of emails
                                once I get to that point :)

                                Thank you

                                John

                                wodeford wrote:

                                > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                > John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                                > > My major
                                > > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                                > > muscle!
                                >
                                > How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                                > Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                                > I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                                > not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                                > http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm <http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm>
                                > Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.
                                >
                                > As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                                > frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                                > medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                                > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
                                > <http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm> as I have instructions on how
                                > to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                                > scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                                > arms stretched out like wings.
                                >
                                > Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                                > be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                                > around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                                > part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                                > one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                                > This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.
                                >
                                > There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/
                                >
                                > To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                                > measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                                > you at the ankle bone.
                                >
                                > > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                                > > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                                > > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                                > The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                                > of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                                > pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                                > have to tackle.
                                >
                                > I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                                > white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                                > well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                                > inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                                > undergarment layer!
                                >
                                > Good luck and welcome.
                                >
                                > Saionji no Hanae
                                > West Kingdom
                                >
                                > __.

                              • Andrew Trembley
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                  > Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                                  > Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                                  > machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                                  > do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                                  > year if I drop a hint :)

                                  Check out my "Sewing Machine Shopper's Guide"
                                  <http://www.bovil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=48>

                                  It should help you figure out what you need.

                                  andy
                                • Ashina no Karasu
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                    there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama pattern that I
                                    really enjoy and use frequently. it might help you when you get to that
                                    point. good luck

                                    Ashina no karasu

                                    --
                                    Regards,

                                    Brendan Barth
                                    360-621-0011

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ashina no Karasu"
                                      <Ashina.no.karasu@...> wrote:

                                      > there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama
                                      pattern that I
                                      > really enjoy and use frequently.

                                      NOTE: The Folkwear patterns are for clothing that postdates the SCA
                                      period and there are some stylistic differences. If you use the hakama
                                      pattern, you can skip the koshi-ita, a trapezoidal stiffened panel at
                                      the back waistband. Simply pleat the hakama legs into the waist ties
                                      instead.

                                      Their kataginu is very definitely a later style. Skip it and make one
                                      using the jpgs in our "Files" section.

                                      If you use the kimono pattern, round the corners of the sleeves. You
                                      will most likely also have to cut everything a few inches wider -
                                      modern kimono bolts are usually only 14.5" to 15".

                                      Two sen worth,
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007

                                        Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                        actually
                                        for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.

                                      • Ashina no Karasu
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                          The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that needs slight alteration.
                                          the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to make it period. other
                                          than that it is a traditional hakama.

                                          > Noble Cousins!
                                          >
                                          > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                          > actually
                                          > for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.
                                          >
                                          > Your Humble Servant
                                          > Solveig Throndardottir
                                          > Amateur Scholar

                                          Regards,

                                          Brendan Barth
                                          360-621-0011

                                        • Jennifer Kobayashi
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                            wrote:

                                            > The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that
                                            > needs slight alteration.
                                            > the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to
                                            > make it period. other
                                            > than that it is a traditional hakama.
                                            >
                                            > On 11/5/07, Solveig Throndardottir
                                            > <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                            > > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the
                                            > > folkwear patter is
                                            > > actually for monpe which are distinctly different
                                            > > from hakama.

                                            To minimize confusion, I will point out that there are
                                            _several_ Folkwear patterns based on various Japanese
                                            and other Asian garments - one of the patterns is #112
                                            Japanese Field Clothing which includes monpei and
                                            another is #151 Japanese Hakama and Kataginu. See, you
                                            are both right!

                                            http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

                                            I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they
                                            are there. And that there are several.

                                            Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                          • DinoKruz@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                              16th century armor - 6 or 7 suits
                                              Feudal japan , encampment, field armoury etc

                                              kauzohiro
                                              sgb

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 6, 2007
                                                Thank you for the clarity.