Re: A bunch of n00b questions

  • jyrkele
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007

      > Men's sleeves for dobuku tend to be attached to the body of the
      > garment. Kosode sleeves for men should be sewn part way up the
      back -
      > that way you can use 'em as pockets.

      that was something I didn't completely understand. Did you refer to
      the openings of the sleeves where they are rounded up and sewn closed
      for a bit (and at this point, how long a distance should it be sewn
      closed? This was something i hadn't found out se it's compeletely new
      to me)
      Or are the sleeves also sewed closed to themselves where they meet
      the body of the garment

      I am not accustomed to discussing clothes and sewing in english so
      excuse me, please...

      And thanks a lot, I didn't know why the sode were rounded before. And
      also for the link to the tousendo forums, hadnt noticed before.

      Another thing I was wondering were the lenghts of fabric. At least
      here in Finland fabric is often sold in widths of 59-57 inches. Yes,
      it is just a matter of cutting, however...

      Here http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Jap123s.html it is
      stated that the "standard width" of panels is 16,5 inches. Measuring
      myself, this width (+ seam allowance) would end upabout an inch over
      my wrist. That is not any kind of a problem, and "standard sizes
      rule", but at Nihon Katchû Seisakuben, Effingham-dono reminds us of
      the problem of scale: The period armours seem to us to be made for
      children
      So I came to wonder wether this has been taken to account in the
      measurements?

      In tihs picture
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/dobuku_sugata.jp
      g The left-most ones dobuku clearly surpasses his wrists. The other
      onse with sleeveless bobukus seem to have shorter sleeves, about as
      long as those measurements would be for me. But again it hasn't been
      said that dobuku would have the same width of panel...

      Sumimasen. just confused
      Better to be sure before you begin cutting the fabric...
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "jyrkele" <erkki_salo1990@...> wrote:
        > Or are the sleeves also sewed closed to themselves where they meet
        > the body of the garment.

        On men's sleeves, the back of the sleeve (closest to the side of the
        body) is also sewn up part way.

        > I am not accustomed to discussing clothes and sewing in english so
        > excuse me, please...
        You're doing fine. If something is not clear, please feel free to ask
        and I'll try to keep it simple.

        > Another thing I was wondering were the lenghts of fabric. At least
        > here in Finland fabric is often sold in widths of 59-57 inches. Yes,
        > it is just a matter of cutting, however...

        Scale is frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
        medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
        http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm as I have instructions on how
        to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
        scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
        arms stretched out like wings.

        I hope this is helpful.

      • jyrkele
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2007

          > I hope this is helpful.

          Couldn't get enymore helpful. Many thanks. Prehaps the best
          instructions on making a kosode I have yet seen
          The only pretext for posting this message is my huge gratitude.
          big amounts of linen incoming, later to be japanese garb.
          Funny, if these will be my first garb to be used in SCA...

          Until I get to post pics, and arigatoo again