Rites of Spring

  • Jamie Ritter
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
      Ok, I don't know if my last email went through or not so I will re send this. As of Last night my bid for Rites of Spring in Illiton was accepted. I have been planning on a Japanese theme, and have been looking into spring type themes, and I found out that the time frame that my event is scheduled for is right in the very brief time frame that the cherry blossom trees bloom so I am thinking of using the name "Celebrating Hakura a japanese cherry blossom festival" ? Any thoughts? or suggestions?

      I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
      Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
      (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
      Jamie Ritter

    • Jamie Ritter

        Ok, I don't know if my last email went through or not so I will re send this. As of Last night my bid for Rites of Spring in Illiton was accepted. I have been planning on a Japanese theme, and have been looking into spring type themes, and I found out that the time frame that my event is scheduled for is right in the very brief time frame that the cherry blossom trees bloom so I am thinking of using the name "Celebrating Hakura a japanese cherry blossom festival" ? Any thoughts? or suggestions?

        I've got a firm grip on reality, now I can strangle it!!
        Lady Fuyutsukime Hattori
        (Hattori Fuyutsukime) mka
        Jamie Ritter

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

          Greetings from Solveig! How about the more prosaic "Ohanami: Flower
          Viewing Festival".
          Please be sure to post information about your event. Some of us out-
          of-kingdom types may
          try to attend. At least Spring should not be in the middle of
          relocating for a new school year.

        • David Williams
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
            YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            My Lady and I are in Shattered Crystal and are working on Japanese personna!
            We'll be there. Any chance to dress Japanese!

            Cristen and Celestria

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                  sounds like ill have to make sure i swing down for
                  rites of spring :)
                  kiyohara
                  shire of vamished wood

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

                    Greetings from Solveig! Thank you for correcting your spelling.
                    Kam'butsu'e is the festival of
                    the historical Buddha's birthday and takes place each April 8th.
                    Hanami or Ohanami is the
                    annual cherry blossom viewing festival and pretty-much varies in time
                    by location.

                  • Jamie Ritter

                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

                        > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
                        > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
                        > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
                        The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
                        read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
                        want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
                        cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
                        out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
                        specific festivals.

                      • Jamie Ritter

                          > I think Kam'butsu'e would be a good name for it since it is so
                          > close to the actual holiday. Hanami would generally take place
                          > later in the year when the cherry blossoms start falling.
                          The thing that was confusing me about this event was that the note I
                          read said that it was going to be a flower viewing festival. If you
                          want to have a Japanese festival appropriate to the Japanese festival
                          cycle, then Kan'butsu'e becomes quite interesting. There are books
                          out there both in English and Japanese which describe activities for
                          specific festivals.

                        • John Perrault
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                            Konbanwa,

                            Seeing how I have a deep love of both modern and feudal Japanese culture
                            I was thinking about a Japanese (Heian or Kamakura) persona.. My major
                            problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                            muscle! Now from what I have seen the clothing seems to be fairly
                            voluminous so I don't think I would look too bad in a very upscaled
                            version I think, but I am by no means an expert in clothing medieval or
                            modern! I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                            sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing machine
                            in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)

                            Domo Arigatou,

                            John Perrault
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                              > My major
                              > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                              > muscle!

                              How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                              Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                              I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                              not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                              http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm
                              Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.

                              As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                              frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                              medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                              http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm as I have instructions on how
                              to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                              scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                              arms stretched out like wings.

                              Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                              be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                              around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                              part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                              one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                              This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.

                              There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/

                              To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                              measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                              you at the ankle bone.

                              > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                              > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                              > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                              The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                              of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                              pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                              have to tackle.

                              I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                              white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                              well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                              inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                              undergarment layer!

                              Good luck and welcome.

                            • Charlotte
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                                Hello!

                                I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                                Any tips would be appreciated. ^_^

                                Peace, love, harmony, and all that jazz.
                                Charlotte
                                www.annunciata.net

                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007
                                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte <nyxnightingale@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello!
                                  >
                                  > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                                  appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                                  traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right style
                                  for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period, however.

                                  Yes: You should at least have an uwagi to wear over it as well for
                                  when you go out in public.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007

                                    > I was wondering if the red hakama / white kosode style?was
                                    > appropriate for an 18-year-old woman? I love the look, it is very
                                    > traditional and charming, but I'm not sure it would be the right
                                    > style for me to wear. I'd like to stay within the Kamakura period,
                                    > however.

                                    You sound a bit undressed. However, you have a good start. I think
                                    that you should think about having both short and long hakama. Also,
                                    I recommend a
                                    hosonaga (looks a lot like a suikan). That should do really well for
                                    Kamakura period before the Jokyu Disturbance. Also, I suggest
                                    browsing the Kamakura
                                    section of the costume museum.

                                  • John Perrault
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                      Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                                      Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                                      machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                                      do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                                      year if I drop a hint :) The construction for the kosode looks pretty
                                      simple whats all the measurements are done and the fabric is cut! The
                                      hakama though look more difficult and will probably take a lot of time
                                      to get right.I imagine so I am sure I'll be writing plenty of emails
                                      once I get to that point :)

                                      Thank you

                                      John

                                      wodeford wrote:

                                      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                      > John Perrault <jpwic@...> wrote:
                                      > > My major
                                      > > problem is that I am 6'3" and like 320 pounds and very little of it
                                      > > muscle!
                                      >
                                      > How very imposing you are going to look! You are absolutely right.
                                      > Japanese clothing flatters a lot of body types if it's scaled to fit.
                                      > I bet if you look at the contributing models on this page you could
                                      > not tell me who the tall people are and who the short people are.
                                      > http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm <http://wodefordhall.com/samurai.htm>
                                      > Why? Because their clothes fit and the fit of Japanese dress is BIG.
                                      >
                                      > As mentioned a few messages before you posted this one, scale is
                                      > frequently an issue for those of us who are not built like
                                      > medieval Japanese. Please take a look at my web page at
                                      > http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm
                                      > <http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm> as I have instructions on how
                                      > to measure yourself and calculate a panel width to accomodate the
                                      > scale of your own body. Look for a sketch of a figure in kosode with
                                      > arms stretched out like wings.
                                      >
                                      > Kosode are "double breasted." Your base panel measurement x 5 should
                                      > be enough to wrap around you to the hip. If you carry a lot of weight
                                      > around the belly, take your tape measure and wrap it around the widest
                                      > part of the belly, going all the way around with one end starting at
                                      > one hip and ending at the other hip so the tape overlaps in the front.
                                      > This will tell you whether you need to bump the panel measurement upward.
                                      >
                                      > There's a hakama pattern in the "Files" section here at
                                      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/
                                      >
                                      > To scale your hakama, you'll need your waist measurement and a
                                      > measurement of the drop from navel to floor (hemmed, they should hit
                                      > you at the ankle bone.
                                      >
                                      > > I am mainly looking for advice at the moment because my hand
                                      > > sewing skills are severely lacking and I haven't used a sewing
                                      > > machine in like 15 years (since Home Ec in grade 7!)
                                      > The good news is that Japanese garments are mostly rectangles and lots
                                      > of straight seams. Collars are a little tricky and you'll have to do
                                      > pleats on your hakama, but those are the most complex problems you'll
                                      > have to tackle.
                                      >
                                      > I'm going to suggest that you start by mocking up a kosode in cheap
                                      > white cotton muslin. It will allow you to get some sewing practice as
                                      > well as being safe for mistake making and checking scale on
                                      > inexpensive fabric - and if the result is wearable, you've got your
                                      > undergarment layer!
                                      >
                                      > Good luck and welcome.
                                      >
                                      > Saionji no Hanae
                                      > West Kingdom
                                      >
                                      > __.

                                    • Andrew Trembley
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                        > Thank you for your help!!! With that I have decided for now to go with a
                                        > Japanese persona! I'm going out tomorrow to start looking at sewing
                                        > machines (nothing fancy for me!!!) it's something I have been meaning to
                                        > do for ages but never got around to it, maybe Santa will be nice this
                                        > year if I drop a hint :)

                                        Check out my "Sewing Machine Shopper's Guide"
                                        <http://www.bovil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=48>

                                        It should help you figure out what you need.

                                        andy
                                      • Ashina no Karasu
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                          there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama pattern that I
                                          really enjoy and use frequently. it might help you when you get to that
                                          point. good luck

                                          Ashina no karasu

                                          --
                                          Regards,

                                          Brendan Barth
                                          360-621-0011

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 4, 2007
                                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ashina no Karasu"
                                            <Ashina.no.karasu@...> wrote:

                                            > there is a company called folkwear patterns. the do a hakama
                                            pattern that I
                                            > really enjoy and use frequently.

                                            NOTE: The Folkwear patterns are for clothing that postdates the SCA
                                            period and there are some stylistic differences. If you use the hakama
                                            pattern, you can skip the koshi-ita, a trapezoidal stiffened panel at
                                            the back waistband. Simply pleat the hakama legs into the waist ties
                                            instead.

                                            Their kataginu is very definitely a later style. Skip it and make one
                                            using the jpgs in our "Files" section.

                                            If you use the kimono pattern, round the corners of the sleeves. You
                                            will most likely also have to cut everything a few inches wider -
                                            modern kimono bolts are usually only 14.5" to 15".

                                            Two sen worth,
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007

                                              Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                              actually
                                              for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.

                                            • Ashina no Karasu
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                                The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that needs slight alteration.
                                                the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to make it period. other
                                                than that it is a traditional hakama.

                                                > Noble Cousins!
                                                >
                                                > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the folkwear patter is
                                                > actually
                                                > for monpe which are distinctly different from hakama.
                                                >
                                                > Your Humble Servant
                                                > Solveig Throndardottir
                                                > Amateur Scholar

                                                Regards,

                                                Brendan Barth
                                                360-621-0011

                                              • Jennifer Kobayashi
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > The folkwear pattern is a seven panel hakama that
                                                  > needs slight alteration.
                                                  > the back koshi-ita needs to be removed in order to
                                                  > make it period. other
                                                  > than that it is a traditional hakama.
                                                  >
                                                  > On 11/5/07, Solveig Throndardottir
                                                  > <nostrand@...> wrote:

                                                  > > Greetings from Solveig! As I recall at least, the
                                                  > > folkwear patter is
                                                  > > actually for monpe which are distinctly different
                                                  > > from hakama.

                                                  To minimize confusion, I will point out that there are
                                                  _several_ Folkwear patterns based on various Japanese
                                                  and other Asian garments - one of the patterns is #112
                                                  Japanese Field Clothing which includes monpei and
                                                  another is #151 Japanese Hakama and Kataginu. See, you
                                                  are both right!

                                                  http://www.folkwear.com/asian.html

                                                  I'm not recommending them, just pointing out that they
                                                  are there. And that there are several.

                                                  Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                • DinoKruz@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 5, 2007
                                                    16th century armor - 6 or 7 suits
                                                    Feudal japan , encampment, field armoury etc

                                                    kauzohiro
                                                    sgb

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 6, 2007
                                                      Thank you for the clarity.